PDA

View Full Version : Discus Hiding

aprofromindia
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hi There

I just got my First discus (2 juvenile Blue Diamonds) now since the first day they seem to be a bit afraid of me. Whenever I open the hood they seem to hide behind the amazon swords, and that includes when I try to feed them, from what I have noticed My cardinal tetras come to surface and go on a feeding frenzy, b ut I have never seen the discus do the same, though I have seen them scouring the tank and picking bits and pieces from the gravel but dont know if they are feeding well. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Apro.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:59 AM
Disscus are always a little cautious, and it's normal for fish newly introduced into a tank to be shy and hide at your approach.

They will soon learn that lifting the hood means feeding time, and it won't be long before they are at the front of the tank waiting for you to feed them.

Discus are slow at feeding, and like to take their time looking for food in the tank. All very normal behaviour. :P

aprofromindia
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:10 AM
Fotos :D

kalebjarrod
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:19 AM
they look good

colour in eyes

no clamped fins

just give them some time, they will come around

Mulisha
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:21 AM
Nice fish you have there mate very nice red eyes :D

A full tank shot?

My discus were very dark and scared when adding them to my BB tank and they never did stop stressing out then moved them into a 5ft tank about 3 weeks ago and it's lightly planted with gravel and my fish couldn't look better.

Just provide them with hiding spots and you should be fine and they do learn when it's feeding time becuase my 8 Red Turks never leave the corner if my tank. LOL

Hope everything goes well :D

goldenpigeon
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 03:04 AM
they look great. in the future you could try adding one or two more fish to get a school going. discus are very confident in numbers

the old saying goes "there is safety in numbers"

give them a little time.

cheers

G-1000
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 04:22 AM
Hi Apro,

As has already been said - this is normal behaviour for discus. However, I would give some thought to trying to keep discus in a school of 5 or more - since they are schooling fish and may feel more secure this way.

G

aprofromindia
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi guys its a really small tank about 70 ltr in vol and I dont wanna put a lt of fish want to build a planted heaven, anyways I have attached a photo for all those requests and everyone's comments is appreciated. Cheers.

kalebjarrod
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:14 AM
looks nice, i think they could do with another 2 to keep them company,

as they get a little bigger a bigger tank may be nessecary

looks great though! :wink: