View Full Version : Pecky order

anti-generic
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 07:49 AM
I just brought 2 small discus from SLS 2 days ago
"thanks kev"

but they dont seem to get along with my existing discus
all my older discus pick on them
Non stop!!!!

i find it so frustrating watching being chased around..
can't get to any food..
and cant find anywhere to hide.

im thinking of putting in a partition
to separate them from the rest.

is that a good idea?
or would they slowly get used to it
and adapt?

Proteus
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 09:10 AM
maybe look at getting some egg-crate or mesh and seperate them but where they can still see the others (safety in numbers thing)...

then as time passes remove it.

is there mush of a size difference between the new Discus and what you had already???

anti-generic
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 11:52 AM
thanks proteus

i'll try that

chrissyoscar
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 01:28 AM
You can try re-aranging the tank as I've read it can help.
Something to do with the discus treating the re-aranged tank as a new home therefore they're not so agressive to the new discus.
Try moving some driftwood, plants, pots whatever so it's not the same as before.
I don't know if it'll work but it might be worth a try.

Oscar

flukes
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 10:22 AM
Every tank has a runt, love the runts...got a few now, someone told me to get rid of them but if i get rid of them then the next smallest one will become the runt.
There is aggression and then there is out of control aggression, all discus will fight its when they start doing it every minute of the day.

SLY
Tue Jun 22, 2004, 09:14 AM
I think you miss something..for every new arrival it's always recommended to QT your fish for at least 2 weeks. There are a few points I would like to emphasize.

1. New fishes are not used to the environment and being dump straight to ur existing community tank will stress them out definitely.

2. I would never get 2 juveniles because it's difficult to QT 2 fishes in 1 tank..most of the time they will be hiding or will jump at any slight movement. Discus don't do well at 2..minimum 6 as they are schooling fish. Exceptional for pair.

3. When new arrival don't do well in your new environment they will start to break down and once that happen they might affect your existing comm tank and most of the time hobbyists will blame it on the new arrivals saying that they are not clean or etc but the real fact is you didn't QT the fishes and broke the rule.

The above is JMO of what I have learned so far in discus keeping. Cheers :)

fishpimp
Tue Jun 22, 2004, 12:05 PM
some good advice there sly

flukes
Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:20 PM
Here here!!!! QT is very important.

anti-generic
Wed Jun 23, 2004, 12:55 PM
thanks for all your suggestions

but i think i have the situation under control now.

the new discus is fitting in just fine..
although my bigger ones sometime make it clear to
them who is boss.
but the little ones arent too stressed about it.

thanks again