PDA

View Full Version : Getting breeding pairs

Sicj
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 06:34 AM
What would be the best way for me to get some pairs should i buy some smaller discus and grow them or should i get larger ones and should they all be the same strain of discus cause what if 2 different strains pair off any ideas ?

flukes
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 06:42 AM
Depends on the money you want to spend, you can buy a pair or you can buy 5or 6 fish of the same strain wait for pairs and sell the rest.

Buying pairs doesnt always mean they are going to spawn for you//

chrissyoscar
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 06:44 AM
I would buy 6 young discus about 6-8cm in size and grow them.
You should get 1 pair maybe 2. If you want 2 pairs then get 8 young discus.
As for your question about strains I'll let someone else with more experience answer that.

Oscar

Sicj
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 06:48 AM
ok thanks guys, all i gotta do now is decide what strain i should keep i am too undecided on what i should get. There are too many nice types out there

nicholas76
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 01:21 AM
When it comes to strains it really comes down to your own preference.

Some may argue that there are distinct diffrences or diffrent levels of difficulties when trying to get certain strains to breed.

You should really go with your heart on this one. Pick some fish that you will enjoy to watch grow , hopefully pair up and spawn. Or if you are into adult fish ( bought as paired ) than go with the same mentality.

Coz;

Just remember they might not actually pair up or breed!

cheers

nick

sunshinediscus
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:11 PM
Being a first time breeder i'd recomend starting out with non pb or white discus as those types are more problematic to raise the fry due to attachment problems sometimes encountered with the fry.