PDA

View Full Version : Cherry barbs with discus??

desertdiscus
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 04:34 AM
Does anyone know how cherry barbs would do with a group of 11 discus in a 55 gal. tank? :o I have 5 in a hospital tank and was told by the store that they should get along with them. I have my doubts....

goldenpigeon
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 06:05 AM
IMO all barbs are a disaster waiting to happen. if they are in a small group they will harras the day lights out of your fish and in a bigger group they pick on each other. i definetly would not keep them with discus. i dont htink you would want to put anymore fish in your tank.

see what others think

sammigold
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 08:59 AM
I would tend to agree with GP. Barbs can be quite nippy and your discus will not enjoy that... they are very quick moving, darting around and may be quite disruptive in the tank.... better to keep them with fish that are not as easily unsettled as discus...

oscar
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:15 AM
Generally i'd back that up. Until recently i was a barb loather, i've had nothing but trouble with them in past years.

However, today i got a handful of Denison/Torpedo Barbs. I just think they look great and a few others on the forum keep them and don't report trouble so i thought i'd give it a go.

We'll see.

I have seen tanks with fairly benign gold barbs, and the cherry barbs are supposed to be pretty tame too but i still wouldn't do it myself.

duck
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 12:49 PM
I have had and still got a couple of cherry barb's with my discus and found no trouble at all,But they do suffer and don't live long with temp sitting on 30c.
I would get them again.

desertdiscus
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 05:15 PM
they have very good temperment but the temp. of the discus tank was my concern. From what I have read about them, they are not fin nippers. I appreciate all of the great feedback.

Thanks!!! :)