PDA

View Full Version : Take the plunge or not?

chrissimalta
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hi everybody!!!

I am new to both this forum and to discus-keeping. Its a pleasure to know that there is such a forum even for discus because I used to find the malawi cichlid forum and frontosa forum very helpful.
I have a 55 gallon tank in which I used to keep malawi cichlids but one fine day I thought I want to gp for something more challenging and peaceful. This is why I thought of going for discus, so I took all my malawis to my lfs and sold them just keeping 2 clown loaches.
I have been reading all kinds of articles on internet about keeping discus and in a way I dont't think that it is the right choice for me but I'm still trying to find a way of going about it. So maybe you could help me take this decision. These are the facts:
I live in an apartment with restricted space and don't have room for a water tank where I can let the water stay until it reaches the right parametres before carrying out a water change.
I am currently carrying out water changes to reduce the nitrate levels which are at about 25 at the moment. I am adding TetraAqua pH/KH minus to reduce the pH from 7.5 to more comfortable levels for the discus.
The problem that I am anticipating is that after I manage to reduce the pH level, when I come to carry out the weekly 20% water change, the pH level will rise slightly because the pH from the tap is 7.5. I use the 'python no spill' to do my water changes and never had any problems with my malawis and have no problems with my frontosas either. However, from what I read it is unacceptable for discus to add water directly from the tap into the tank and adding the 'anti-chlorinator' and 'pH minus' after into the water. I manage to regulate the temperature from the tap to +/- 0.5 degrees that of the aquarium so the temperature should not really be an issue in my case.
In the aquarium I only have the ordinary gravel, three pieces of bogwood and plastic plants.
What are your opinions on this, should I or shouldn't I :?:

FishLover
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 08:06 PM
Caring for the discus is not that hard. I'm no expert on this. I used to have cichlids too before I got my discus tank. I think if you keep 4 things in mind, you will be OK. 1. Water change, I do a 40% twice a week. 2. Water temp, keep it in the mid 80s at least. I keep mine at 88F because most nasty things can not take temp over 86F. Use two heaters instead of one. You need about 3 watts per G of water at least. 3. Balanced feed. I feed mine with frozen BW, and some flake food. 4. Make sure ph level is not totally out of range (<5 or >7.8) and keep it stable.

Buy one of the plastic containers (<$10)that can hold up to the amount of water you need to change and treat it before pumping it into the tank. You may need to buy a pump (about $45) that can reach the hight of your tank. Have long enough hose to reach the tap and also to reach the drain so you don't have to carry water around.

When you are saying your tap water is at ph 7.5, it is not clear when do you measure it. In my case, the ph comes out of the tap is about 7.6, it jumps to 8.03 the next day. I'm having trouble deal with it right now. If your water is 7.5 all the time, I would not bother to change the ph level at all. You also need to check your gravel (for that matter, anything in your tank) to make sure it is not changing your ph level. Put some of them into a plastic cup, dump some ph down in it. If it boubles, you will have to replace the gravel. You did not say what kind of filters you have. If it is UGF, you will need to cycle the tank before putting the discus in if you have to replace the gravel.

You may have to sell your clown loaches too. I don't think they are good tank mate for discus. You need to set the tank temp > 82F . I'm not sure if the clown loaches can take that kind of temp. besides, they can get too big for the discus. Corys and tetras are good.

kalebjarrod
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 10:32 PM
There are a few simple tricks to discus

1. warm water, get good heaterS (plural) and make sure the temp is stable

2. Water changes, and lots of them, the more the merryier as far as i am concerned. But due to your resricted space drums are out of the question (for now) Too the same extent i have never had a problem with direct water change from the tap here in sunny QLD, but we have soft clean water. Best to do some tests of your local water supply and let us know, we can take it from there.

but one more thin with water, it is better to keep the tank at a stable 7.5 than it is to have it jump all over the shop. be content with your pH and your fish will be content with you

3. Quality varied food, mix it up, how would you like it to eat rump steak 365 days of the year, neither do your discus, beef heart, dired food, flake, bloodworms, brineshrimp etc etc is the best way to sucess

sammigold
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:33 AM
I agree with kalebjarrod.... we don't age our water we go straight from tap to bucket, add our conditioners etc then into tank (we are in melbourne)... our fish are happy with that.. in regard to comment about loaches.... I have 2 clown loaches in with my discus and they don't bother my discus at all, I think it depends on the fish.. I have read that some loaches like to go up to the sides of discus and feed on the slime coat but I havent had that problem with mine. Maybe just see how they go before getting rid of your loaches. Also you said you wanted more peaceful fish, just remember that discus are a cichlid too and sometimes they can be quite aggressive toward each other when it comes to getting their heirachy sorted out...and sometimes they don't seem all that peaceful at all. :lol:
all in all after saying that... it took us a few month to prepare ourselves before we took the plunge but it was worth it as now everyday we have a beautiful tank full of gorgeous fish to admire.. good Luck!!!!!

chrissimalta
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 08:45 AM
Thank you all for your advice!
I think I will go for it, and see the outcome. I have to test the pH from the tap on different days to see if it changes. GH should not cause problems either because our water comes from a RO and when I tested it straight from the tap its just 5. I tested my gravel with vinegar and it doesn't fizz. The heater I use is an Eheim Pro canister external filter with a built-in heater set at a temperature of between 29 and 30 degrees Celcius. It would be ideal if the discus would thrive at a pH of 7.5 because like that I can keep it stable without any chemical additives, however I always read that the discus will be stressed at this pH level.

electric molecular
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Chrissi,

I think you should go for it! You seem to have a pretty good appreciation of what is involved with keeping discus. As other forum members have already mentioned, discus do need a good quality of water, however, domesticated discus are hardier than some people give them credit for. Good filtration, a varied protein-rich diet, stable water parameters and regular partial water changes are the key.
Like Sammi, I also add buckets of water (of around same temp as tank so as not to shock fish) straight from the tap, and then add whatever water conditioners or ph or kh adjustors I need etc.
Oh since you already have gravel in your tank, you might want to consider getting rid of the plastic plants and going for some hardy live "beginner" ones like hygro. I think you'll find discus keeping a really rewarding hobby like I have! :D

Claire

sammigold
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:04 AM
(of around same temp as tank so as not to shock fish) straight from the tap, and then add whatever water conditioners or ph or kh adjustors I need etc.
Claire

I forgot to say that!!!! doh!!! :roll:

FishLover
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 05:32 PM
One more thing about test your tap water ph: put the water in a cup, test it right after fill. Let the water set in the cup for a day. Test it again next day. In my case, the ph level goes up about .6 after I left the water in the cup for a day. This will cause the ph up and down each time I change my water. I'm still trying to find a solution to this other than aging the water, which was not an option for me.

kalebjarrod
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:20 PM
a stable 7.5 will bet a random pH any day of the week

i have keep discus in 7.4 for years and not had any problem

they are used to it after years of tank breeding :wink: