PDA

View Full Version : you've got me interested

fishgeek
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 05:59 PM
right after reading this forum i have more of an interest in discus

really have no idea about the fish though do understand water chemistry well enough, i think :wink:

basic questions
i dont really want to be starting extra tanks and was wondering what sort of space people suggest per fish
i have a nice little setup of 2 ft tanks ina system i built at the moment

do they need a deeper tank to be comfortable what is the minimum suggested

can they be sexed visually?
or is this the reaon for buying a small group of youngsters to grow on? in the hope of getting at least a pair?

do the colours breed true?
will they cope in cooler temp's say 26 ?

and any links for new discus keepers too
this site is purely a forum ? no articles written?

andrew

kalebjarrod
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 10:12 PM
i dont really want to be starting extra tanks and was wondering what sort of space people suggest per fish
i have a nice little setup of 2 ft tanks ina system i built at the moment

do they need a deeper tank to be comfortable what is the minimum suggested

they need 10 gal per adult, standard 2fter may be a bit small, 2 ft cubes would be fine this is often what we breed in :wink:

can they be sexed visually?
or is this the reaon for buying a small group of youngsters to grow on? in the hope of getting at least a pair?

they can be sexed visually, but it is only done by a selected few, and they can get it wrong. Just because you have a male and a female fish does not mean you have a pair though hence the reason we select a small group of juve's and let nature take its course

do the colours breed true?
will they cope in cooler temp's say 26 ?

they breed like all fish, 1/4 like mums genes, 1/4 like dads genes, 1/2 cross of the two (but don't forget mum and dads genes consist of all the family before them as well!)

keep the temp up or you will always have problems :?

this site is purely a forum ? no articles written?

we have a few articles, but most of the question people need answered are easier with a post LOL

goodluck 8-)