PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus!

Lex
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:33 PM
Anyways guys... Same problem I have here... My skinny discus is not improving.... I have try tapeworm tablets... syringed them... still not effect. Can someone help me out here. Is there any other medication I can get to treat them. Just dont want to see them getting skinnier and skinnier and die.... I can see their bones on some of them.... its not a pretty sight.

Cheers

kevkoi
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 02:48 PM
When it gets to the point that they are skin and bones, there is little else you can try.....

I believe I previously adviced the use of metronidazole (Flagyl). Have the fish been treated with that antibiotic? It is a very powerful and useful antibiotic to treat with, but sadly it's usually by vet prescription only (or from a LFS that is well versed with fish medication and have some spare tablets under the counter).

There nothing more I can suggest.... it's obviously not tapeworm. (that's easily treated with over the counter fish meds).

Lex
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 04:11 AM
Hey kev, do you know any LFS that has Flagyl under the counter? I couldnt find anyone around the area which has it and i dont want to go to vet.

Proteus
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 04:14 AM
why not go to a vet, it will probably be cheaper than under the counter stuff, and it will be the good stuff...

:?

Lex
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 07:12 AM
HMM.. cheap? whats the price range? LAst time I went to a vet with a friend to examine his dog. Its cost them $50 just for the examination.

Proteus
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 07:36 AM
The vet I went to only charged for the tab's as there was no consultation or examination...

it cost approx $20-30 for 21 x 400mg tabs

Lex
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 01:55 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeehaaa! Cool! Thanks mate! Gonna get it tomorrow. I live right next to the vet!

CHeers

Hawque
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 01:40 AM
Got my metraidazole from the local vet. He knew nothing about fish, but was quite happy to provide me with the medication.

I was charged 20cents a tablet and a $10 dispensing fee. Quite cheap compared to some medications.... :D

Lex
Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:16 PM
Oh well.. I went to two local vets today. Not much help! I was told by one, they do not prescribe drugs without consultation and the other wasnt much help either. Didnt know what I was talking about. Does someone know where I can get it! This is frustrating me!

DiscusMad
Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:30 PM
er how many do you need???

Lex
Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:18 PM
To be honest I dont really know. I have about 8 discus, all showing symptoms of the same thing. I really dont know what is the dosage for them. I have never use this medication before. At the moment any I can get my hands on would be adequate.