PDA

View Full Version : Breeding setup - Sump

flukes
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 11:43 AM
Looking at designs for sumps filterring more than one tank. Iam going to have 8 2fter made up and i want to run either all 8 off a 4ft sump or groups of 2 4's off 2ft sumps. My problem isnt with overflows and getting the water too the sump its getting it back and evenly distributing it amoungst the tanks.
Anyone got any plans ideas or comments.>??

And yes i know if they are all on the same tank the have the same specs and deseases blah blah blah - I live on the edge! :lol:

kevkoi
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 12:00 PM
On a system, u WILL need a UV steriliser.. no if or but's about it. GET a UV steriliser. It will be the BEST investment you've ever made. Getting it back to the tanks, u can regulate the flow with taps to each tank. U will need a pump with good flowrate and good head height.

flukes
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
Got a 6000lph or 4000lph at 2m head hight. Might blast the discus up against the wall of the tank but thats alright it will be clean. Yeah i was thinking UV, might get one of those eco tubes too.

Proteus
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 09:15 PM
For a system a nice big UV should do the job nicely.

flukes
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:39 AM
You think i should run all the tanks off one big sump and UV or 2 small sumps and 2 smaller UV's.??
And do i just use something like a ball valve to regulate the amount of water going into each tank??

Cheeers
Scott

Proteus
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 08:36 AM
One big sump and an equally big UV unit will result in more consistent water parameters for all the tanks, and less maintenance.

But,

Having 2 set-ups means if one goes crazy, you have a fall back system...

personally I would go for the single set-up, but always have something in reserve...

kalebjarrod
Fri Jun 18, 2004, 10:58 AM
we use "flow regulators" at work on our irrigation systems which realise a predetermined presure level only. I only have units which work on very low flow levels at present but i know thier are others out thier. then its a matter of one simple loop system

the middle east is THE BEST place to check for plumbing and irrigation equipment. they don't have any water to waste maybe check some of thier website's, most irrigators worth thier wait will import this gear.

:lol: