PDA

View Full Version : 5 Foot Pine Stand/Cabinet

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:03 PM
I have just started making myself a pine stand for my new tank for Christmas and thought i would post a few pics and how i go along the way for those who after building a tank stand.

And i have had no plans or help with this did it all by myself :wink:

This stand will cost about $30 all up so it's nice and cheap. :D

I'll show you how it's joined and and a few pics from when i started and i forgot to take pics from the very start :oops: and it only took a few hrs to get to the first part anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any questions just post :wink:

DR.V
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:06 PM
Hei good job man !!

Do you join them using nails ? staple gun ? or screws ?

Thanks

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:10 PM
A few pics from the start.

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:12 PM
DR.V I used 50mm long Screws i find nails don't hold well and don't pull the joins together tight enough and the timber size is 70mm x 35mm it's house framing $2.40 for a length of 2.4M so it's good value :wink:

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:54 PM
Great job Rick. Keep those pics coming.

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:23 PM
looks great mate

weel done

gotti
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:33 PM
Good work mate! Looks excellent especially for the price.

I have 2 suggestions

1)On crucial supports its usually better to use coach bolts rather then screws

2)with the supports that hold the bottom of the tank try putting them on there sides (Thin part up) as it will hold more mass and you will have less chance of it sagging

other then that its A+

thanks for sharing

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone it's not quite finished yet though still got a fair bit to do and gotti i understand what your saying and yeah i should have down that but i can sit on any part of the stand i want and not 1mm movement so it seems sturdy and the tabk won't be that heavy anyway it's only like 350kg or something :wink:

Thanks guys and girls for ya kind words means alot :lol:

I'll keep you all posted how i go :D

Mulisha
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 05:52 AM
Some new pics just added the doors still needs sanding and other bits added then finally stained :lol:

G-1000
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 07:05 AM
Hi Mulisha

How do you make the yellow car in the background ? Thats sweeeet.

G

goldenpigeon
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 07:15 AM
simply go to your holden dealer and hand over a big bag or money :D

great job rick :D

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 08:06 AM
You've done a lovely job Rick. It's looking great. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Mulisha
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah i can't wait to see it finished to LOL it's taken a few days and so far has cost me $42 including a few other bits and piceces you didn't see becuase i haven't added them yet and then i got to buy stainning stuff 8-)

Cheers i'll get heaps of pics for ya :wink:

Mulisha
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 09:48 AM
And that yellow car we paid $3 :wink:

Just go to the newsagency and buy a $3 scratchy :lol: :lol:

goldenpigeon
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 10:13 AM
lol or that ;)

Ben
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well done Rick!

you are doing an awesome job mate!

one thing though........did you really win the car???

Cheers
Ben

Mulisha
Sat Dec 17, 2005, 02:29 AM
Yep :wink:

Mulisha
Sat Dec 17, 2005, 11:04 AM
Updated pics still needs some work though go to sand it and then stain and attach handles then done :wink:

Picked up a 5'x18"x18" tank for $100 today with 8mm glass so not a bad price i don't think..

Ben
Sat Dec 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Um....any chance of a pic or 4 of the Monaro??

Mulisha
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 05:56 AM
Here u go Ben here is the Yellow Beast 5.7L V8 :shock: :wink:

We have better pictures but they didn't get taken with the digi so i have scan then hope these give you an idea :D

Mulisha
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 06:01 AM
Here is the stand just before staining it it all the nail and screw heads have been filled in and the whole thing has been gave a good sanding and door handles and door catchs have been added as well.

Mulisha
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 06:06 AM
Now is has just finsihed the first coat of varnish gloss cost $33 for a 1L tin :shock: ..... but it makes it look much better and after about 5hrs a very very light sand with worn out fine snad paper by hand get rid of any high spots and run marks then the second or last coat will go on i don't want it to look to dark in colour.

Hope you enjoy and you can ask any question about if you want :wink:

I don't think it's to bad of job for 5 days of slave labour in a 35 degree garage LOL and a box of Coke :lol: :lol:

Hope you like it i'll post some pics when it's completly finsihed with last coat of varbish and got the tank on it.

goldenpigeon
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:11 AM
wow man, what a nice job you have done! want to make one for my 5x18? ;)

Mulisha
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:22 AM
LOL i have had enuff for a while after doing that took ages and alot of hardwork but did pay off :D

Ben
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:51 PM
AWESOME!!!

grunt grunt!

hehehe

stand looks great too!

Mulisha
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:55 PM
HE HE thanks Ben :wink:

DarrenJThomas
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:41 PM
I think it would be advisable to put some cross brasing or a sheet of ply at the back of the cupboart. If you dont you might find that it will fall over like a deck of cards as all the stength will only come from the bolts.

It might feel strong but 350kg with a slight nudge could give enough momentum to collapse it.

Only trying to help :lol:

Darren

DarrenJThomas
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:42 PM
I forgot to add.

It Looks FANTASTIC. You have done and EXCELLENT job, well done!

goldenpigeon
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:59 PM
did you run out of timber for the doors Rick?

DR.V
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:17 AM
WOW thats really nice !! Good job Rick !!

DIY ROCKS !

Mulisha
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:36 AM
Cheers guys nah i had a little bit of timber left afterwards and thanks for ya replys :wink:

Darren the stand it restinf on the screws it is putting downwards pressure on the wood umm i'll try get a picture of what i mean :lol:
and if your talking about the flat bits of timber going cross ways at the top of the stand those are held in with bolts not screws and they are well cappable of holding this weight.

i'll get some pics of it with my fish a bits of wood in there etc and my were getting hand feed in matter of hours when added to the tank :D :D :D :D :D :D thank god they didn't go all skitish LOL like last time... :roll:

Womby
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 08:30 AM
that stand is amazing and very insparational just goes to show what a littlw hard labour can produce