PDA

View Full Version : Background plants

guppy01
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 04:07 AM
I need a couple of plants to fill in the background of my tank. I've tried using Limnophila and Wisteria, but these two plants did not do well. On one side of the tank I have Hygrophila, which is thriving, now I just need something on the other side and the middle. Any suggestions?

My tank is 3 foot (approx 40 gal) and I have three 30 watt lights over the tank. The hygrophila, crypts, and amazon sword are doing very good, but some plants such as limnophila and wisteria do not do well, any possible reasons for this?

duck
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 05:21 AM
Try some vals.
You need more light,You are very limilted in the plants you can grow with such low light.
Have you recently put plant's in the tank?

guppy01
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 01:56 AM
I thought my light was reasonable, on the lowlight side, but sufficient to grow plants...

I forgot to add that I don't want vals LOL. I had them before and they overtook the whole tank and I don't really like the look of vals.
Any other suggestions?

duck
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 05:51 AM
Have you recently put plant's in the tank?
Have you?
I'm going to guess here and say you have just planted those plants recently,You will most likely find that the plant's will stunt or grow really slow over time.

Reasonable amount of light is around the 1.5- 2WPG you haven't even got 1WPG .

guppy01
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:30 AM
I don't think you read my original post properly. I actually have three 30 watt lights over my tank which equals 2.25 WPG.

The plants have been in there for about a month, and the ones that are doing good aren't showing any signs of slowing down (especially the hygrophila!)

Back to my original question, I'm considering using a few aponogetons and maybe large Java fern for the middle and then water sprite for the rigth hand corner. Any other ideas? I'll try and get a pic up of what I've done so far.

duck
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:52 AM
Sorry i did miss read it.

Back to my original question, I'm considering using a few aponogetons and maybe large Java fern for the middle and then water sprite for the rigth hand corner. Any other ideas? I'll try and get a pic up of what I've done so far.

Sound's good,A pic would be great.