PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best substrate for planted tank ?

DR.V
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 12:01 PM
I want to build another planted tank for discus, a heavily planted tank.
Just wondering what does people think of the best substrate for planted tank ??

Thanks

duck
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 12:41 PM
There are 3 substrate's that come to mind,Flourite,Eco-Complete,ADA power soil's.
These are stand alone substrate's so need to add any layer's that can get a little mixed up when uprooting plant's,And you can forego the substrate fert's.

skoom
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 01:09 PM
how much do these products cost? roughly....

is there a substrate called flora base? any good?

thanks.

DR.V
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi duck, which substrate would you recommned out of those 3 ? Flourite,Eco-Complete,ADA power soil's ?

I was thinking the ADA, by looking at all his great aquascaping ....

But does ADA available in Australia ? I havent seen much around here ...

duck
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 02:20 PM
The Eco and the flourite are on par but the colour is what it will come to.
I have Eco so i would recomend ? because it is black and never goe's out of fashion :lol:

ADA product's i don't think are here yet, Going by what ive been reading about it, it is going to be expensive, have not read a bad thing about it,Except that you have to change it every couple of year's,This is only what i have read about it, i have not used it.
If i remember correctly Red sea do flora base,Not read anything about the product.

DR.V
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info duck,

With the Eco, do you need another layer underneath ? like a fertilizer layer ?

Also can it go abit greenish ? As in algae grow on them ?

I had a white substate once, man... they look great under bright light, but after a few months it goes a bit brownish and greenish coz algae grow on them.
At the end, i changed the substrate.

So I want to setup a big planted tank, with a substrate that will look great for a long period of time.

duck
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 02:58 PM
Both Eco And flourite are stand alone substrate's no need for anything else no layer's,Some people do put a a very thin layer of peat,But that,s to kick start the substrate, it's not needed.
I have had mine just over a year now and no greenish or algea growing on it,You can't go much wrong with a black substrate.

goldenpigeon
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:39 AM
where do u get it and how much does it cost?

DR.V
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice duck

duck
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 05:57 AM
where do u get it and how much does it cost?
It's not cheap,But IMHO worth it.

AussieStar
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:48 AM
u can do it for cheap, you dont always need these subtrates, but it depends on what kind of plants you want etc, i just use normal gravel about 3 inches of it and add ferts to my water column and its working out fine, but if u have root depended plants etc lotus like im trying to grow i have them in a small container filled with JBL auaq basic which is cover over with the gravel so u cant notice it.

These special gravels dont last a life time maybe about 2-3 yrs, so that y i do that way i do to save the cost in the long run,

And some people say it dosent work, but y do alot of people do it this way and get very good results from it

duck
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:31 AM
These special gravels dont last a life time maybe about 2-3 yrs, so that y i do that way i do to save the cost in the long run,
Have read Aussie this is just one that i found Saying it doesn't run out in 2-3 year's,It never need's replacing,If it did i surely would not have put it myself
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19367

revkev
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:49 AM
Seachem Flourite Red 7kg A$76.70 http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/

Seachem Flourite Red
Flourite Red™ is a specially fracted stable porous clay gravel for the natural planted aquarium. Its appearance is best suited to planted aquaria, but may be used in any aquarium environment. Flourite Red™ is most effective when used alone as an integral substrate bed, but it may be mixed with other gravels. Gravel modifiers such as laterite are not necessary. Flourite Red™ is not chemically coated or treated and will not alter the pH of the water. Although pre-washed, it should be rinsed before use to remove residual dust. Dust can also be minimized by filling tank slowly and dispersing water so that the Flourite Red™ bed is not disturbed. Slight initial cloudiness is normal and will clear rapidly (2–12 hours). This bag is sufficient for about a 5 cm (2 inch) deep bed in a typical 40 L (10 gallon) tank. Recommended use is 1 kg (2 lbs) for approximately each 200 cm2 (31 in2) of tank bottom at a depth of 5 cm (2 in).

Davo
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 08:38 AM
When I set up my 4x2x2 tank 2 years ago I used a mixture of products.

Firstly I put a 1 inch layer of fine gravel/sand mix which I bought from a wholesaler up near Newcastle. You can also buy it retail from Auburn Aquariums, $25 for 20 kilos.

I then sprinkled 1kg of duplarit K over the gravel. I then put in another inch of gravel/sand then sprinkled over a couple of bags of a JBL product similar to the Dupla product. I then mixed 2 x bags of Seachem Flourite with the remaining gravel/sand mix and added it.

My plants have amazing growth but I also use the EI method of fertilizing and have 330 watts of compact fluoros over the tank plus CO2. You also need to add extra fertilizer tabs/balls to the substrate every couple of months.

BTW Aussie Star, From all the reading that I have done Flourite and Eco-Complete will last longer than you or your children will live?

Dave.