PDA

View Full Version : Very Newb with Discus,

XPLOSV
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 05:13 AM
Hi guys,

Im ken, this is my first time ever dealing with fish LOL, well 1 day i walked by this fish shop at parramatta westfield (lvl3 near mc donal), anyways i notice the discus it was so nice and so i decided to by a 50lt tank but i dint buy the discus just yet because i wont know what to do with them, so im just wondering if any one you guys sell a small or a medium size discus for me to try it out in my tank.
atm i have nothing in my tank, beside this filter that come with it (where it suck the below water shoot it out from top).

so what are your suggestions guy?

please give me some hints =)

KEN,

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Ken, and welcome to the forum. Welcome to the wonderful world of discus.

Your 50 litre tank is a bit too small to keep a pair of discus, unless they are a mated pair, and you are prepared to do daily water changes.

I gather you have a standard 2 foot tank. You could keep 3 juveniles in there for about 6 months, with daily water changes, but you would need to think about moving them onto a bigger tank once they start to grow.

If you've read through some of the posts on the forum, you'll see that discus need very clean water and good filtration. The larger the tank, the easier it is to keep the water in pristine condition.

First thing you need to do, is cycle your tank and filter. That means waiting for the good bacteria to grow which forms your biological filter. This deals with the waste your fish produce, and prevents it from turning the water in the tank, toxic.

There is a very interesting article in the general information forum, dealing with fishless cycling your tank. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks for this to happen, before you can add fish to your tank.

There's lots of information on this forum about setting up and maintaining your tank, but feel free to ask any questions you may have.