PDA

View Full Version : Fury spores on my driftwood ??

rupes88
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:10 PM
hello...A quick request for advice.

I have a new 4ft tank on the day 14 of the set up cycle. I have moderately planted the aquarium and have also added two pieces of driftwood - no fish.

I however noticed that there is some hairy fungas like spores, a few mills long that is growing on some parts of my drift wood. My tests read:

temp: 28.5
Ph: 6.6
Am: .25
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 0

Is it cool to leave it ? Or is there something I should be doing and/or take the wood out and clean it off ?

I don't want to disrupt the tank and the plants by taking out so I was just hoping some one could off any advice.

Don't you find that every day of new tanks cycle seems like three times longer than a normal one ?..........'Patience Rupert patience'...sorry I have to keep it.

Thanks all ~ rupert

rupes88
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:25 PM
oopps, I meant to say....

' Patience Rupert patience' Sorry, I have to keep repeating it.

~~~you see all this waiting is getting to me :oops: :shock:

duck
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:39 PM
How much light do you have?
How big is your tank?
What's your PO4 level's?
Do you have CO2?

rupes88
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:53 PM
The tank is a 980 AquaOne.

99x47x60cm
triple fluorescent lighting (the middle light is a deeper purple colour)
I don't have any Co2

And forgive my ignorance but I didnt know what PO4 was so I googled it. I'll read more but do you suggest I buy test kit to find out the phosphates ? If they are the problem what do you suggest I do ?

Thanks for your help.

duck
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:15 PM
after rereading your post i don't think a PO4 test is needed at this point.
Change the purple colour globe it does nothing for your plant's,Your
ligthing is really not enough,But then again it depend's on what you want to grow.

Did you clean the wood before you put it in?
Take it out and give it a bleaching 15-1 bleach-water for a minute or 2 then rinse and rinse then put it back.

If your tank is moderately planted out, put some fish in.

rupes88
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:25 PM
when i first got the wood I just gave it a good scrub in tap water. I'll get them out and give them another go as you suggested.

What is that purple light ? What should I replace it with ?

So far I have in the tank:

Anubias
Val
Crypts
Wisteria

They are all going strong and are sending out new sap roots. I forgot to mention i used a fert tab on the crypts and vals.

Duck you've made my night I'll be down the LFS tomorrow. What do you recommend I kick off with...i want to start slow.

rupes88
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:48 PM
sorry duck could i just check it was 15 parts bleech to 1 part water ?

thks

duck
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:58 PM
sorry duck could i just check it was 15 parts bleech to 1 part water ?

thks

Yes.

I'm thinking you a talking about fish,Just a couple that you like,While you are there get a few extra stem plant's.

Mulisha
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 03:08 PM
Maybe should look into getting a few algae eating fish to help maintain your tank it always helps when having a busy week and like Duck said add a few more plants to the tank that will also help i suggest get another Wisteria as they are great plants for excess nutirents in the water.

HTH

GoodLuck.. :lol: