PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time.

flukes
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 06:48 AM
There is nothing like a nice planted tank with beuatiful discus to complament it but lately Ive been thinking about getting more into the breeding side of discus. What i want too do is strip down all my tanks sell all the dinnerplates i have and start over. I want to use my 3 4x18x18's for strain tanks and get 5 or 6 of a strain wait for pairs then sell the remaining and move the pairs to breeding tanks. Then ill have a 6x3x3 for a fry tank. Then have 8 2fters setup for breeding tanks.
Its a big dicision but i think if i can find a way to run things a bit better it can be done. I already have the 4's the 6fter is coming soon and 2fters wont be hard to setup but they can come last as i need the pairs to use them.
The main reason i am thinking of doing this is because iam a bit sick of two different strains pairing up.
Can anyone give me some advice on if it the right thing too do or if there is a better way to go about it. Or just too coment in general.

Cheers
Scott

Tryhard
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 10:58 AM
I wish I had your problem :cry:

flukes
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 12:37 PM
what do you mean? why i dont have that many plates, i just want to get into breeding and do it right.

chrissyoscar
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah I agree, if you want to get serious about breeding then you really do need to get them in there own tanks to stop different strains pairing up.
Basically if you've got the time, space, money and desire then go for it as if you don't you'll probably wish you did sometime down the track.

I've been thinking of doing this myself but not to a large scale.
I'm thinking of getting two 48x14x18 tanks with one having leopard snakeskins and the other having either coral snakeskins, checkerboards or leopards. I'll then get 3-4 breeding tanks and a 60x24x24 fry tank.
At the momment I have a red turk paired up with a pidgeon blood but I'm going to seperate them and try and pair up the female red turk with a male I have. I've been told that it doesn't always work but it's worth a try.

Oscar

flukes
Sun Jun 13, 2004, 05:33 AM
Well i got the 2 4x18's might just use them for now for making pairs, ill have to sell all my current fish and then start on one strain. Guessing it will eithr be the San merah or maybe checkerboards. Havent decided yet.

chrissyoscar
Sun Jun 13, 2004, 01:16 PM
Hi Flukes

When you sell let me know what you're selling as I'm intrested in the Leopard snakeskin and maybe a few others.

Oscar

discman
Mon Jun 14, 2004, 12:16 AM
hay mate give us a ring when u sell 8)

flukes
Mon Jun 14, 2004, 07:37 AM
Not sure if iam going to yet, happened again the lep SS and checkerboard layed eggs this morning. Pitty they did it on the heater,