PDA

View Full Version : Which Discus?

Annie
Fri Jun 11, 2004, 03:47 AM
Okay, the blonde in me is starting to show.... :oops: I think all Discus are beautiful, when taken care of. But my question is what are the best Discus to get? I mean, most things are in by brand, fish are not. I know I like some colors better than others, but other than that, which ones are?

I have found a "local" breeder within just a few hours of where I live. Here is his web page. I have actually talked with him and I think I am going to check his Discus out.
http://www.macsdiscus.com/frames.html

Proteus
Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:50 AM
how about a bit of RED, some GREEN and a flash of BLUE...

heck, get a pair of each...

no, actually...

make that 2 pairs of each.

:wink:

DiscusMad
Fri Jun 11, 2004, 01:09 PM
I love my red turq
I love my red malbora
I love my ocean green

and I just love it when the follow me when iI walk past the tank lol

United21Soccer
Fri Jun 11, 2004, 06:08 PM
I personally love RSG's!

Any discus is awesome to me, though...

flukes
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 12:36 AM
Macs discus are supposedly great, although i wouldnt know. Looking on his page that Tangerine Dream looks good. OH and you gotta get a Alencer Red Spotted and if you want too go crazy get the Red Spotted Saffron but in the end its up too you. Its good too go different, i like having a fish that not many people have.

Well let us know you decision

Proteus
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 12:47 AM
Mixtures look good...

see...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=208

Cichlids_Rule
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 04:56 AM
I like the wild strains of Discus better.

Proteus
Sat Jun 12, 2004, 05:12 AM
But you must remember, it is all about what you can get, and what you can easily get...

wild strains are great, but very tricky to keep until they are fully acclimated into the home aquarium... sometimes this never happens.

luvfishies
Sun Jun 13, 2004, 05:11 AM
Way to go Annie! Mac's Discus are really nice, and whatever you get will be topnotch, so just get what pleases your eye.

I've always loved the Tangerine Dreams, myself.

Annie
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 05:28 AM
Mixtures look good...

see...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=208

Proteus...How big would you say thoses Discus of yours are?

kalebjarrod
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 08:46 AM
Proteus,

is this tank in your house?
my God what a beautiful hobby we keep!

Proteus
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 09:03 AM
The Marlboro Red pair towards the left are about 13cm (5inches)

the Ocean Greens (4 in total) that you can see on the left are 10-11cm (4inches)

the Bunga Rayas in front of the wood, 9cm (3.5inches)

and my rescue fish (1 of 2 Blue Diamonds) only 9cm (3.5inches) they are both heavily stunted (Not looked after by there previous owner, they didnt understand the basics of regular water changes - but they are alive, happy and healthy)

That tank is in my loungeroom, with a 2.5ft sump underneath, opposite a 6x2x2 and next to another 4ft'r with 14 Discus in it (Snakeskins, Turqs, RSG's, Checkerboards) some of those fish can be seen in the pics attached to the Eco-Aqualizer trial post.

I have just set up another tanks at the other end of the room as I might be paying someone a visit soon, and I have this habit of leaving there with fish.

When I get my 72x30x24 tank set up I will be staining the stand in that pic as I got impatient when I got the stand and just threw the tank on and filled it.

kevkoi
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 11:11 AM
Nice fish Rohan... U've grown them very well. Now u'll need to add a nother few fish to that tank.... :lol:

Come get some REAL nice Checkerboards..... I just brought some stunning fish in from the quarantine/holding room today. :)

Proteus
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 11:59 AM
Nice fish Rohan...

Thanks Kev...

I just wonder where most, oops, actually all the Discus (exluding my rescue pair) came from???

:roll:

Annie
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:40 AM
Thank all of you for your input...I am open to so many choices...I mean, I have the 55 for Discus ( or maybe a african tank??) but I do have the 180 to fill!!!! :wink: I love the Tangerine Dream Discus, and I know that I want some Red Melons...and yes the Alencer Red Spotted is just beautiful, but what I do not see on Mac's list is the Bunga Rayas. I would LOVE tohave some of thoses!!!!! I guess when I drive over to check it out I will fall in live with them all... :D

Proteus
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 08:39 AM
Bunga Rayas = Super Red Melons...

Chris McMahon
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 02:50 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=208Where'd you get that wood, and for how much? I'd love a piece like that for my tank.

Proteus
Wed Jun 16, 2004, 05:34 PM
Ive been holding onto that for quite some time now...

it is swamp wood from Malaysia (or somewhere in Asia) which I found in a store over a year ago.

I havent seen a piece like it since (in a store anyway)