PDA

View Full Version : Discus nearly swimming verticle

axl
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:02 PM
Hi,
i have a discus that is nearly swimming verticley but not quite straight up, and its back body is shaking alot, has this fish got a disease or is this normal because it wont swim proplely. It keeeps hiding as well hence that why i think it has got disease. Its trying to find food and the other fish keep hunting it away.
cheers axl

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
It sounds like a swim bladder disorder, which can be caused by a number of things. First things first, check all your water parameters.

Is it swimming nose up, or nose down.

The main cause is bacterial, and this can sometimes happen by eating spoiled food, over eating, or a blockage caused by a worm burden. Very often, the problem will correct itself, and hopefully this will happen with your fish. If it's going to correct itself, it will resolve within a few days. Add a little salt to the water, 1 teaspoon per 40 litres of water, to help with the breathing, and lower the bacteria count.

Good luck.

axl
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:27 PM
Hi,
yeah its swimming nose down and breathing heavily, what water parameters do you mean like ammonia, ph what else you need to check and how often do i put salt in, i just put some epsom salt in then

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:40 PM
Okay, epsom salts is used for constipation, so it just might help.

The salt I'm talking about is pure rock salt, or cooking salt that you buy from the supermarket. Make sure it's cooking salt, and not table salt

If the epsom salts are going to work, you will see an improvement by the morning. If he is still the same, do a 50% waterchange, and add the cooking salt. You only need to add it once, as it stays in the water. When you do a water change, then you only add enough salt to treat the replacement water.

With the water, yes test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, as well as pH.

axl
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 07:06 AM
Hey,
thanks for all your advice its much apprecieted and the fish has improved out of sight. It improved greatly next morning with epson salt and now is back in swimming witht the other fish.
cheers axl

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 09:11 AM
That's the best news I've had all day axl. Then it was just a digestive disorder, which was the best thing it could posssibly be.

Just keep an eye on the fish for the next few days, to make sure he is fully recovered.