PDA

View Full Version : new to discus

lee
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 04:23 AM
What is the best discus to start of having, or are they all the same when it comes to looking after them. I love these fish and would like to get some tangerine or red or blue turquoise. any help would be good.

cheers lee

Ben
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 07:25 AM
Any discus would be ok to start off with.
It is believed that traditional brown discus is a little stronger than some of the newer colour breeds.

Keep up the water changes and feed often with a good variety of foods and you should have no problems.

Ben

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Lee. Glad to have you join us.

If you can't find any browns, then red turquoise or blue turquoise discus should be easy to find, and they are very hardy.

You may even find some breeders in your local area.

G-1000
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Lee,

I reckon that when you start with discus, you should buy the most affordable strain and try to look after it as best you can. Only because, if you havent become accustomed to the level of care discus need, then you may find your fish get sick fairly easily.

Once you are used to them and their requirements, then if you are sure you want to keep them, I would sell the ones that you bought to "learn" with and then buy whatever colours you find most attractive (since you will be looking after the fish for the next few years at least).

HTH

G

axl
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 04:22 AM
Hey Lee,
i only just 3 weeks ago purchased my first 9 dsicus and purchased 5 blue turqs and 4 briallant blues as i like the look of them and as all the guys have said they are very hardy fish. So i would personally be going for the blue or red turqs and the blue brilliants if i were you and they look awsome in a planted tank to. Since you live in qld try giving Rod from Sunshine discus a call he has very good quality fish at reasonable prices and is a sponsor for this sight
cheers axl