PDA

View Full Version : Discus is Bloated and excreting thick white discharge

chris@yen
Sat Nov 19, 2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys,

what could this problem be? My discus has showed the following problems over the last 2months:

1. No appetite (no eating that I can see) for the last 4 weeks
2. Profuse/Frequent discharge of a thick (almost 7mm thick and 5cm long) white substance. Doesn't look like the usual faeces. Doesn't look like the usual worms.
3. In the last 3 days has a large bloated stomach and cannot swim straight.
4. Very shy, and unable to swim normally. (it's not being bullied though)

Currently twice weekly water changes. Tetra bits fed 3 times daily.

I've tried the following:
Salts + Heat (up to 33deg. C)
Two attempts to use Metro (first week, and then tried again this week)

Seems to be getting worse.

I think this all started when against my better judgement I fed it live blackworms (you know those Piesces live food packets... they also sell live brine shrimp, etc). The LFS guy said that it would be a good food source. I doubted it, but tried... and alas... my sick fish... has been healthy apart from this episode for the last 10 months.

kalebjarrod
Sat Nov 19, 2005, 08:57 PM
did you run a full metro treatment? that normally takes over a week in itself?

also have you used an epsom salts for the bloat?

chris@yen
Sat Nov 19, 2005, 09:17 PM
Hi kalebjarrod,

Thanks for your help.

Q. did you run a full metro treatment? that normally takes over a week in itself?
A. Yes, unfortunately no effect :( Will try again today.

Q. also have you used an epsom salts for the bloat?
A. Yes, tried that also :( No effect.

The sick fish is in the community tank. I think I will isolate it in a quarantine tank and save the other discus another run of salt, heat and metro.

nicholas76
Sat Nov 19, 2005, 10:34 PM
when dealing with hex treatment is most effective when you get to it straight away.

after all it is the gut wall that you see coming out. ( white poo )

medicate its food ( pre soak ) and do the treatment again. If you can mix beef heart with it do that as well.

kalebjarrod
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 12:38 AM
you seem to be doing all the right things

i am at a loss :cry:

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 09:13 AM
That's a very sick fish you have there Chris.

I actually think you have several problems going on there at the same time.

First I think that your fish has had a severe case of worms, and because of the huge worm burden, the gut lining has been perforated. This is the reason for the huge bulge you are seeing now. The fact that the fish has not eaten for four weeks is a great worry.

It's also possible that the fish originally had a case of hex, and hence the white discharge. The gut normally sheds a number of cells from the lining each day, but in the case of hex, the amount of shed lining is increased in an effort to rid the gut of the irritant. Unfortunately this weakens the wall, and allows a possible worm burden to perforate the gut.

Sadly, I do believe that your fish may be beyond help at this stage, but certainly put it in a hospital tank, raise the temperature, and begin a course of Metro at the rate of 400mg every 8 hours, with a 30% waterchange before each new dose. I would suggest you treat for at least 7 days. If the fish survives, then you will need to do a prolonged worm treatment, using a preparation for tape worm, and then a preparation for round worm.

Good luck.

chris@yen
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
Dear ladyred,

thanks for your diagnosis. I unfortunately concur with your prognosis :(

It's a real shame there's not much to do except pray and continue the standard treatments.

I'll keep you up to date on how it goes.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 01:22 PM
We're all thinking of you Chris, and hoping for a miracle.

chris@yen
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
Just to keep you updated...

He hasn't had any more white discharge until this evening... I added the salt about 24hours ago... maybe it's working (hopeful thinking).

Here's the pic as of 5minutes ago.

nicholas76
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:08 PM
poor thing.

Its head standing, its fully boated, its lost a heap of gut membrane.

I really wish salt could fix this.

IS it eating at all?

id be inclined to knock this one on the head.

say have you treated the other fish for hex as a precautionary?

chris@yen
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:18 PM
Yuh, it's a real shame :( ... he/she is a real fighter though... hanging onto life... He/She use to be the healthiest of all my discus.

Q. IS it eating at all?
A. I haven't seen it eat a thing for 4 weeks, i'm perplexed how it's lived so long.

Should I euthanase this one? Or is there always a chance of recovery?

Q. say have you treated the other fish for hex as a precautionary?
A. Just the standard Worm-Rid stuff (metro). Should I perform again? (performed 3 days ago).

Ben
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:45 PM
This is very sad to say, but i think it is time for him to pass.........

The little fellow will be in pain and is just hanging on by a thread...

The easiest way and most humane is to catch the little fellow out place him in a small plastic bag and then straight into the freezer.

Ben

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 01:04 AM
I'm so sorry Chris, but I think the time has come for you to take matters into your own hands.

Freezing seems to be the kindest way. Fish are cold blooded, so don't notice any change in the temperature. Their metabolism simply begins to slow, and they are dead long before the water freezes.

kalebjarrod
Wed Nov 23, 2005, 08:53 AM
i tend to agree

it has lost its balance, not eating, going even darker then the last photo, massive gut loss

i am afraid it's time to be kind :(