PDA

View Full Version : sick fishes

jstefani
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 02:58 PM
hey guys i need some help.
this is my first post and unfortunately its not a good one.
i have had 4 discus, 3 blue turquoise and a hybrid blue turq / golden sunrise, ive lost 2 blues and am in the process of losing my lovely little hybrid, Speks. all three fish have had the same symptoms - sudden loss of balance, sudden irratic swimming, sometimes in tight circles, (often causing them to injure themselves on the driftwood/tank walls) and loss of appetite. they seem to become disoriented afterwards, then they swim around normally for a while before hiding and breathing heavily. This happens periodically (about every half hour). i have treated for intestinal worms and flukes with no success. water temp is around 30 degrees, no ammonia, pH 6-7, nitrites tested ok. As yet no-one can indicate what is wrong or treatment for it. Can anyone help???????
:cry:

Proteus
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Jeremy, welcome to DF.com, only wish it could have been a happier first post.

Have you tried Metronidazole at all???

other than that and immaculate water conditions I cant offer much more in the way of advice.

luvfishies
Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:32 AM
Hey there Jeremy and welcome. What is the nitrATE level, what size tank, and how often and large are your waterchanges?

jstefani
Tue Jun 08, 2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys! No I haven't tried Metronidazole - do you think its some kind of worm? little guys in three foot tank (only 3 bristlenose with them). the two larger ones were in four foot with tetras and bristlenose. water changes about 1/3 every two weeks. this is about to become weekly. haven't checked nitrates yet as nitrites tested ok.....

flukes
Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:57 PM
nitrites can be ok and still have nitrates, as the nitrogen cycle ends in the nitrate stage. The nitrate is the last process and is what water changes brings down. You should have some presents of nitrate but you dont want high levels.
Try get it checked if you can, if you dont have atest kit take a sample of water too a lfs and see what they can find.

luvfishies
Wed Jun 09, 2004, 06:20 AM
jeremy, try doing 50% waterchanges twice a week and see how that does. Discus love waterchanges, no nirites, and low low low nitrates. Every fortnight just isn't enough clean water for these fish.

jstefani
Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:00 AM
thanks for the help and replies guys, they have gone back to their usual selfs over the past 2 days, eating plenty and swimming freely. hard to say what it was though, could have been water changes, medication from a few days ago or maybe even the 2 good handfulls of rock salt i put in most recently, im leaning towards a combination of the water changes and the salt, but good news anyway, thanks again. :lol: