PDA

View Full Version : New additions. A. baenschi and P. denisonii

Reillin
Thu Nov 17, 2005, 11:03 AM
Wanted fish. Got fish. Good fish.

That is the crux of many stories and I am hoping that this one in particular is not any different. Having seen some marvellous pictures of Apistogramma baenschi also known as Inka 50, I was hoping to add these beauts to my dwarf cichlid collection. Quite a small collection at the very moment, but why not start with arguably the most beautiful? I asked myself.

Anyway, I eagerly called up a store that imports wildcaught specimens from Peru and booked myself a pair. This seemed slightly over the top as Apistogramma sp. are generally very small and I would think that breeding them would only require a small operation. Alas, sometimes supply do outstrip demand and so this is one particular case that I will have to just sit back and wait.

The day did eventually come around, after some delays from the air service I hurried to the airport and brought the box home. It had been approximately 6 hours since they were packaged and I was obviously worried. Even well packaged, I know that Apistogramma sp. tend to be on the smaller side and would thus not be as hardy as other larger specimens. However this concern seems unbased upon further thought. Smaller fish (not immature fish) would use less oxygen and therefore their reduced environment would have less of a detrimental affect on them as say would larger fish. As expected, the fish were extremely well packaged. Double-bagged and the styrofoam box was inside a well sealed cardboard box.

Well packaged.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Little_Tommy/Picture058.jpg

Female Apistogramma baenschi
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Little_Tommy/1cd88c6a.jpg

Male A. baenschi
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Little_Tommy/Picture060.jpg

The pair looked drab, but I expected this as my previous fish have all arrived and coloured up marvellously after a duration. The larger fish I assumed to be the male and looks to belong to the nijsseni complex. The smaller fish (a female?) had black vertical bars, not unlike those on some African cichlids immediately explored their new surroundings. They started pecking around so I introduced some live daphnia, which they eagerly took.

Well, I shall leave it at that and hope that they survive the night. The tank they are in are healthy and supports two baby bristlenoses which were recently transferred there, so I expect no problems with the pair. All there is to it now is to wait and see how they sleep overnight.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Little_Tommy/Picture062.jpg

These beauts from Kerala, India. I first saw a picture of this barb from India and thought "Very nice!" Of course, I have always loved rummynoses and so these Puntius denisonii tingled my interest. With a bit of research, I discovered that they were quite rare as a breeding method for them have not been developed. This meant that they are difficult to induce to breed or that someone needs to find out what conditions are necessary. I nominated myself. "Breeding" fish have been a big part of my fish-keeping hobby and challenges such as these barbs are affordable and might even be possible if not rewarding. Along with the Apistogramma baenschi pair, I also carted along 10 Puntius denisonii, which practically emptied my wallet. However these fish all well worth it. The fish were healthy specimens and quite large. Approximately 7-8cm and I have read that they can attain up to 16cm (unconfirmed). Again, I will have to wait and see how these will turn out. I need to purchase a new 4ft tank for them as I have read that they prefer cooler temperatures, between 15 to 25 degree celsius. At the moment they shall dwell in the community 6fter.

Cheers,
Vien.

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 04:23 PM
Congratulations Vien, they are lovely looking fish. Hope they settle in well for you, and maybe even breed. :P

Ben
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 03:53 AM
well done Vien!
great story and pictures, please keep us posted when they breed for you!

cheers
ben

Reillin
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:40 PM
Regarding the Inka 50s,

The "pair" has settled in with the male showing a lot of yellows on his fins now. The other fish is approximately 3 - 3.5 cm. A tad on the smaller side and can it be confirmed as a female? i doubt it unless they have already bred.

The male chases the other fish around and it has to hide for now. I am still hoping it to be the "pair" that I originally purchased, not just two fish.

Guess I slightly disappointed at the moment. I'll be more careful and insist on people's word that it is a pair before buying stuff again.

Heinz from Melbourne said to have patience with these little guys. Guess I'll give them some more time.

Cheers,
Vien.