PDA

View Full Version : exotic discus of the world book review

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:03 AM
late last year i had the pleasure of meeting Victor Lim who is one of the publishers of an excellent discus book called 'exotic discus of the world'.

i recently asked him if i could do a quick review of his book here on discus forums and he said why not!

i have read and owned many discus books over the last few years and this one really does leave the rest for dead. it includes detailed information on many topics including:
The discus hobby - past, present, and future
Discus in Nature
Collecting Wild discus
Breeding healthy 'natural' discus
water for discus
enhancing the colour of your discus
discus health
asain discus
super breeders (profiles include kitti phanaitthi, wayne ng, mark tan chee lok, lee tong juan, chan ming, chai koon send)
and probably the best picture gallery i have ever seen!

it is not your average generalising fish keeping book. it has detailed infomation regarding discus from the worlds leading breeders.

if you are interested in purchasing the book you can contact victor lim himself who may be able to send you a copy of even hand one to you as he is a flight supervisor for an airline and sometimes comes to australia. i organised to meet him personally and he is a genuinly nice guy, and so full of knowledge. his email is vicdiscus2000@yahoo.com
alternatively, one of our retail sponsors (sls, extreme etc) may want to import a shipment and sell them to df members.

i will attach some pictures of the book and am more then willing to answer any questions you may have regarding the book.

i am not recieveing anything for reviewing/promoting the bokk, i just really think it is a cut above the rest and was definately worth the small cost. i have learned so much from it and it has helped me to begin to raise beautiful healthy discus

cheers
matt

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:05 AM
more

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:06 AM
more

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:08 AM
more

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:10 AM
more

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:11 AM
more

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:14 AM
i just opend the book at random pages for those pictures...except for the third pic where victor was kind enought to sign it for me!!!!

if you are local and want to have a look, that's not a problem at all. just message me and we can sort it out.

anyway, that's enough from me. i really enjoyed reading this, and i still read it from time to time when i need to know something. it has answered ALL my discus questions so far.

cheers guys

matt

Proteus
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:48 AM
I have stickied this as it is a great resource to others.

Thanks Matt for the review... looks like something to save them $$$ for.

flukes
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:21 AM
Dont need too he showed us 2/3 of the book :lol:
Naa looks great wouldnt mind getting it..

sunshinediscus
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:00 PM
I'll 2nd everything Matt said, i got my copy from Victor and Clifford Chan at last years Aquarama. It really is a great book and as Matt said Victor is one hell of a nice guy.

gsaqua
Fri Jun 18, 2004, 07:16 PM
If anyone is interested in this book we have 8 copies in stock.

George

Proteus
Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:26 PM
George... $$$

how much?

Might have to get a copy :wink:

gsaqua
Sat Jun 19, 2004, 08:39 PM
$125.oo Retail, $100.oo to members.

George

Jeff
Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:18 PM
I have the book and love it. I consider it a great resource and some awesome pics as well.

Proteus
Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:21 PM
Welcome to DF.com Jeff...

Thanks for the feedback regarding the book...

(feel free to add your link, etc, in the International links topic area)

:wink:

Plecostomus
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 01:22 PM
beautiful book!!!
I love the pretty pictures!!
That makes me want to go to amazon.com

africandiscus
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:33 PM
$125.oo Retail, $100.oo to members.

George

Is it still available?

Proteus
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 06:54 AM
Send George a PM or e-mail...

That way he will let you know a lot quicker as to if he has any in stock

kalebjarrod
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:54 AM
down thier last weekend he still has some

great book

Darryl
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 08:16 AM
Hi,
This is my first attempt at emailing in this forum so I hope it all goes well.
Can you tell me more about the book "exotic discus of the world"
Is it available at SLS and how much is it???
thanks ,
Darryl

Ben
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:22 AM
where can i buy this book in melbourne??

Darth_discus
Sun May 22, 2005, 01:19 AM
can u send me an e-mail about where to by from in melbourne and if have any left and phone no. of the place

Proteus
Sun May 22, 2005, 01:28 AM
I believe Slippery Little Suckers has them in stock, and if memory serves me correct, they are on special at the moment...

http://adserver.aquadotnetwork.com/banners/slipperylittlesuckers.com/001.gif (http://adserver.aquadotnetwork.com/adclick.php?bannerid=1&zoneid=10&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slipperylittlesuckers.com)

marg
Sat May 28, 2005, 08:35 AM
Darryl I am want to know the same as you. Where can we get a copy of this Book and how much is it?

I have also been told of another Book which is supposed to be excellent. it is called "Penang Discus" written by Shaifulah Yeng. I have tried all my local Bookstores and even looked up second hand books all to no avail. Can anyone help me with this one?.

Proteus
Sat May 28, 2005, 09:28 AM
SLS, have most if not all good Discus books

Darth_discus
Sat May 28, 2005, 10:57 AM
i ment in melbourne

Proteus
Sat May 28, 2005, 10:59 AM
they can send via courier or mail

timothy1051
Mon May 30, 2005, 05:36 AM
hay just one question i thor you not meen to tush you fish beacause it gives them a disease or somthink well whats with the pic

mistakes r crucial
Mon May 30, 2005, 09:06 AM
Kev, George, sponsors

Do any of you guys still have copies of Exotic Discus in stock, if so I would like to buy one.
MAC

Proteus
Mon May 30, 2005, 09:34 AM
send Kevkoi or SLS a PM...

that will be the quickest way to get an answer

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 11:00 AM
Timothy, the reason we don't usually like to touch our fish is because it removes the slime coating, and leaves the skin prone to bacterial infections.

However, in this case, the hand is being used as a guide to the size of the fish, and also notice, that the keeper's hand is very wet in each case. These would be very experienced fish keepers, and would be very careful with their fish :P

ryalan
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 01:30 PM
The book looks interesting... dieseases in wild ones..!!!
Is possible also find pics of fish facilities of those top breeders..??
That could helps alot for some new ideas for my farm expansion...

Best regards

Raul