PDA

View Full Version : Praziquantel

Hawque
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 05:19 AM
I fear that my Discus may have tapeworms, so I have ordered some Praziquantal.

My question is will this medication effect Gibbiceps (Sailfin Plecos), Bristlenose Catfish or Clown Loaches??? I don't want to kill them by accident. :(

Thanks,

Craig

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 07:47 AM
i once used it in my community tank (silly mistake...should have used a hospital tank) and killed about 20 rummy nose and a few bristle nose ctas as well. so i'd recommend seperating the sick fish/es and treating them only.
although i have spoken to other people who have treat their community tank without a single loss.

these days before using a med i try to reduce sickenss/stress with massive waterchanges and salt treatment. somtimes it's all you need to do. meds are not always the first answer, although if you know your fish are really sick then meds are fast and mostly very effective. i just try to use meds as little as possible.

hth
matt

kevkoi
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:44 PM
I'd take the catfish out.... JUST IN CASE.

flukes
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:37 PM
Kev your just a sucker for catfish :lol: (no pun intended)

Proteus
Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:03 PM
I have lost a BN using this med...

take em out :wink:

Lex
Tue Jun 08, 2004, 03:33 AM
Hey guys, I have tried the syringe feeding method using tapeworm tablets dissolved in water for weeks. It seems theres no evident improvement in the health of my discus.They just spit it out through their gills when I release them back into the tank. There are still pretty skinny. Any suggestions?. If there is some other medications suitable. Please advice.
Cheers

flukes
Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:52 PM
Prob not tape worms cause if they are spitting it out they are still swimming in it so they would still be getting some kind of dosage. Iam not sure of any other meds you tried salt?? Other than that might have too wait for someone who has more exprience...

Sorry not much help..

Hawque
Wed Jun 09, 2004, 04:42 AM
Thanks.

I think that I will move my loaches and catfish out before treating.

They are damned hard to catch in the 570L tank so I will probably have to empty out most of the water first and remove all the rocks and stuff... :?

The things we do.... :lol:

Chris McMahon
Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:35 PM
They are **** hard to catch in the 570L tank so I will probably have to empty out most of the water first and remove all the rocks and stuff... I just finished removing 108 stem plants to get my discus out of my 30" and into a 4'. Getting them out is the easy part - just yank. Re-planting them will be a bugger.