PDA

View Full Version : My other fish are sick now Please Help

DarrenJThomas
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 07:33 AM
It looks like my other fish are sick now.

The red melons have black spots on their nose could this be velvet. What is the best treatement.

My 10yo discus is eratic in the tank now

Please help

otto
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 08:30 AM
darren are your water parameters stable? i live in adelaide aswell and the KH
of my tapwater has recently dropped from the usual 6-8 dKH to 2-3DdKH. maybe its throwing something drastically out of whack.

Proteus
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 08:49 AM
Are these black spots like small open sores?

DarrenJThomas
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:37 AM
The black dots are like black pepper / spots of mould on your bread. I initially thought that they were the characteristics of the fish but i dont think they are.

What treatement do you use for velvet.

Benny
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 11:58 AM
ummm

given that they are melons, the black spots are normal my friend

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:20 PM
Testing your water for pH, GH ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is the first thing to do. Test your tap water also, to be sure it's not causing problems.

If your tap water readings are clear, then start by doing a large water change, around 50% at this stage, and see if that has an effect on the fish.

Black spotting on the nose and face of melons is quite normal, and shows up as they age. It almost looks as if someone sprinkled pepper on their face, and is part of the normal pigeon blood trait.

If those black spots appear to be like holes around the head and face, then we're dealing with something else altogether.

Velvet looks totally different to that. I'ts very hard to see on discus, because of their particular slime coat. On other fish it appears as if the fish has been sprinkled along the sides with yellow powder, and the fish will scrape along objects in the tank, and show difficulty breathing. It's a difficult disease to treat, and can prove fatal.

DarrenJThomas
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:05 PM
LadyRed i think you a right about the peppering.

I have treated the tank with Wardleys Broad Spectrum Medicine and Fluke and Worming Tablets.

The fish at this stage appear to be OK but keeping a close eye on them.

I will do a 50% water change tonight.

Thanks everyone for your help

Will keep you posted.

nicholas76
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 12:34 AM
Darren

can you post a pic?