PDA

View Full Version : gravity feed water storage/ager

otto
Sat Nov 05, 2005, 11:34 PM
do airstones generate enough movement within the drum to age/remove chlorine or do i need to add a circulation pump? should i add driftwood or peat to the drum to assist ageing? the water is for my planted discus tank. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.

Ben
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 03:00 AM
Great drum set up Otto!
before we go on, what are the water param's coming straight from the tap? PH..GH etc?

Can you tell us a bit more about your drum set up?

cheers
Ben

*here is an older picture of my more primitive drum set up, i now have 6 drums.

Crocky
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 07:32 AM
Hi Otto

If any of that duct work is heating put it around your drum it will bring you temp up in high 20s in winter,but it looks like cooling which is bigger.

Brad

Ben
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 07:36 AM
Great Idea Brad!

I am very impressed by your set up otto!

below is an updated picture i took of the drums.....yep very primitive indeed! but it works i guess......

WrxAnt
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Otoo,

I assume you have a heater in there as well?

If so then quite likely with a big airstone and a heater the water will circulate enough.

Cheers
Ant

otto
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:34 AM
thanks ben. your question about water parameters made me do a long over due series of tests finding that my KH was critically low, possibly as a result of over aeration caused by the trickle filter?biogenic decalcification is my best guess, becuase its definately not lack of CO2. i wondered why the hygro kept melting, curse me and my testing slackness. maybe someone could shed some light on my problem. getting back to the drum what did you want to know? i see you`ve had vast expierience with the old pickle barrell before (impressive) any questions i`ll be happy to help. there is some heating duct up there somewhere brad and thats an excellent idea, cheers. i`ve got a 300W heater and a couple of airstones in the barrel ant so the circulation should be covered, thanks.

WrxAnt
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 02:07 AM
Hi Otto,

A good option is to insulate the barrel well. That will save heating

Another suggestion re your roof cavity.

Have you considered putting insulation foil attached to your rafters?
I can see tiles and air gaps letting out hot air.

I'm no builder but I've heard of other people doing it for house insulation purposes and its been good.

Cheers
Ant