PDA

View Full Version : Fertilisers

Benny
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:03 AM
Hey guys!!!

Just wanted to know what you guys reccomend to fertilise my low light tank!
I have anubias barteri var. Nana
java fern
and a few sorts of sword (amazon, and one cultivar other sort)

What do you guys reccomend? Im not going to change my substrate to a layerite, I know swords need iron, and are heavy root feeders, so am considering using some form of root tab fertiliser...

What liquids do you guys reccomend?

Bye the way, im on a budget here, so 10 seachem products is way out of my league! Im currently using el-cheapo "aquamaster plant food" and getting 2 - 3 new leaves weekly on one of my swords..!

Regards,

Proteus
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:23 AM
Sera Florena

Benny
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:31 AM
whats everyones thoughts on the sera fert tabs?

Proteus
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:34 AM
They are ok.

JBL make a good fert tab as well

Davo
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 12:47 PM
Seachem Flourish is good. 5ml per 250 litres once or twice per week.

Sera Florena is 5ml per 20 litres.

I have used both and I have had alot better results with the Seachem Flourish and it is more economical.

After you do the calculations 2 ltr of Flourish at approx $90 will last 133 weeks and 5 ltr of Sera Florena at $107 will last 125 weeks.

Regarding the root tabs as Proteus said JBL make good ones and Seachem also do. The best I have used by far were Aqaurium Pharmaceutical Root Tabs but apparently you cannot get them in Oz anymore.

Dave.

axl
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 09:54 PM
I second that davo i use seachem flourish and are having great results with it , excellent product and i use it conjuction with seachem iron, works awsome. Cant beat value for money, you can buy it here www.aqauria.com.au

merman
Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:59 PM
Seachem products :)

DarrenJThomas
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:09 AM
I have a lot of Amazon plants and make my own fertiliser and it works excellent and is extremely cheap. You may need to hunt around for some of the ingredients but once you have them you will be set like jelly.

If you want I can give you the recipe to make up a 250ml bottle.

Benny
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 04:43 AM
do you make "PMDD"

I would be interested in the recipe!

I love DIY!

(heh, and im a tightass)

DarrenJThomas
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 05:15 AM
Yep i do PMDD

I will post my recepie when i get home tonight.

DarrenJThomas
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 07:06 AM
From a Commerce Graduate to a Commerce student we cant help but be tight asses.

When making you PMDD I have found through experimentation that it is best to follow these instructions exactly.

What you need:

Yates Cheated Iron
Yates Trace Elements
Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) MgSO4
Potassium Sulfate K2SO4
Potassium Nitrate KNO3
Distilled Water H20

I have found that if you dont use Yates ingredients you solution will be cloudy. The other chemical are best purchased from a chemical supplier as substitite could contain an anti caking agent that will also cloud your solution. Look in the yellow pages for your local supplier and tell them what you want it for. I bought the K2SO4 + KNO3 in 500g container for about $35 each. The MgSO4 I found later was a lot cheaper purchased in a 20kg bag. MgSO4 can also be used to relieve fish constipation and also makes your plant structure awesome, so having extra allows for many other uses.

How to Mix

Make sure you add them in this order (important)

250Ml H20
6 Tea Spoons K2SO4
2 Tea Spoons KNO3
4 Tea Spoons MgSO4
1 Tea Spoon Trace Elements
1 Tea Spoon Cheated Iron.

I cook this in a pot and bring it to quite hot but not boiling. Stir for about 2 min then pour into your container. You will have a solid residue at the bottom of the pot. I dont worry about this.

Leave it to cool.

And what do you know it look just like Dupla 24.

Have Fun

AussieStar
Sat Nov 05, 2005, 03:41 AM
i might have to try that one, thanxs