PDA

View Full Version : stained ( tanin water ) from my drift wood

nicholas76
Wed Jun 02, 2004, 11:22 AM
Hi all

just wondering how you go about reducing or eliminating tanin from drift wood.
im aware of the tanin benefits but hate that brown water.

im setting up a tank with fine sand as the base. what can i use as a feature, within the tank, its a 4 x 18 x 18. Contemplating drift wood but i dont want that brown water!!

still havent decided on the discus type either, maybe blue D's,, reds not sure.

Proteus
Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:37 PM
Activated carbon, replaced regularly... or lots and lots of water changes...

I have a MASSIVE piece of bogwood in my 4ft'r, and through water changes of approx 5-10% per day, and a 50% change every 10 days or so keeps the water nice and clear. (mind you, 2 x Sponge filters, 1 x AC300, 1 x AC200 HOB's, and 1 x 30x18x18 mini-reef full of bio-balls, E-heim filter mesh and a thick layer of filter wool help as well) as they say, you can never have too much filtration...

:wink:

flukes
Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:50 PM
If you soak the crap out of the wood with boiling hot water you can reduce the amounts of tannis. I did this too a piece of wood i got from a lfs and i didnt notice a difference in water color

nicholas76
Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:52 PM
aah ok shall do

also - normal sand from the local sand and soil place! what do you think ?

can it be used after vigourous cleaning?

im looking at setting it up and putting fish in , after about 1 - 2 months time

kevkoi
Wed Jun 02, 2004, 01:31 PM
Why sand?

Going to be a PAIN to siphon the crap and gunk left over at the bottom with sand substrate. U'll be sucking out more sand than waste when u siphon.... and u will have to siphon.

U can't use a tool like the gravel vac with sand substrate.

:?

nicholas76
Wed Jun 02, 2004, 10:06 PM
I think it looks awsum !

i wonder how others cope with a sandy subsrate?

experiences??? anyone???

I heard of tanks not being gravel vacd at all with thick sandy bottoms. research time I think!

luvfishies
Thu Jun 03, 2004, 02:26 AM
I don't gravel vac the sand here,l but use plumbers hose (clear) to suck the nasties off, Just the same as a BB tank, but nicer to look at IMO

nicholas76
Thu Jun 03, 2004, 05:07 AM
how thick is your layer of sand?

Tryhard
Thu Jun 03, 2004, 08:02 AM
Try getting hold of the sand they use in the filters for swimming pools - comes in two grades coarse and fine , actually not that hard to get hold of just go to the nearest pool supply shop and ask - a little cheaper than I thought when I bought it $13 for 20kg - even the fine is heaver than normal sand so suctioning the bottom is not much of the problem.

nicholas76
Thu Jun 03, 2004, 08:48 AM
excellent will go to the nearest pool shop.

why is it that the LFS sells it for $30 a kilo for 2mm sand ? Rip off !!!!!

now im thinking fertilizer granuels or those slow dissolving balls and allot of grasses and long stem type plants

this is looking easier by the minute

vishy
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 02:11 PM
Hey,
If you boil ur wood it tends to get the tanin out.
vishy