PDA

View Full Version : freak!

Mattzilla
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:50 AM
some people keep some freakish discus...

check out this rhino discus.....lol

some people need to learn to cull deformed fish when they are young.

what do you think????

matt

Fro
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 06:32 AM
If the fish is healthy and the owner is happy with it what is the problem.

I admit normally something like this would be culled, it wmay be kept for any number of reasons. Might be the owners first shot at breeding and a favorite or something like that.

Different strokes for different folks and all that :)

chrissyoscar
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't cull it if anything I would want to keep it as I'll feel sorry for it.
In the Penang discus book there's one very similar and they say apart from the way the discus looks it's quite healthy and happy. You can also breed it as this type of defect isn't genetic so the fry will grow up to be normal healthy discus.

Don't hate me.. Oscar

Proteus
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 07:40 AM
I would let it live, why destroy something that is healthy and apparentlly happy...

I have a couple of deformed fish as it is, mainly taken in out of feeling sorry for them (no Discus apart from 2 stunted Blues which werent cared for previously)...

If I was breeding, or showing the fish, then I would probably have culled it as soon as te deformity was apparent, but now, it would be plain cruelty.

Fro
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 07:43 AM
exactly, looks like a pretty spot on fish other than the gap, would be a real nice specemin without it.

yeah if they arent going to show it or sell it, let it ride

Mattzilla
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 09:32 AM
i must seem like a bastard but i would cull it for sure. with that big a deformity, i'd get rid of it. i would prefer to strive to achieve a much higher quality shape of a discus than anything else. i'm not into deformed fish.... they are ugly.

i feel really mean compared to all you compassion filled people.

jmho

matt

Proteus
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 11:34 AM
Why feel mean, we all have different priorities...

Heck, if I was actively breeding them, it would be Discus Mince for it... but I am lucky enough to have spare tanks, and the time (well not really, but I make time) to let everything have a chance.

flukes
Tue Jun 01, 2004, 12:20 PM
If it was a nicer chape it could look good. I think that "ditch" just isnt a nice shape.
I love different things id be keeping it as long as he is in no harm.