PDA

View Full Version : PH Swing

axl
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:38 PM
Hi,
i have a 70g planted tank at the moment with no discus in it yet and are running co2. My ph is currently around 6.3 and i have a 200ltr drum set up for aging water but my tap water is ph 7.4 and i plan on doing a 40% wc every 2nd day hence the ph swing. How am i going to stop this ph swing or is it going to affect my new discus in anyway from pumping the aged water directly into my tank. Advice needed

vishy
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:12 PM
Why every second day? Why not just weekly at 40% and the pH should be fine,
Matt

Proteus
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:30 PM
Why is your pH at 6.3?

somewhere around 6.5 - 7.0 would be more conducive to keeping a stable environment

axl
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:29 AM
Hey,
my discus that i am getting are young babys so i want to keep clean water so thats why i have decided every 2nd wc and thats what ben said to do as i am getting them of ben. My ph is at 6.3 becuase my water is very soft and my kh is 2.8 so that gives me 42ppm of co2 thats why my ph is a that. If it was between ph 6.5 and 7.0 there is no point in having co2 going becuase i would have to get my kh up around 4 to get the right amount of co2 in there.
It is stable at 6.3 i just need to work out away to get my aged water down in ph becuase it is at ph 7.7
cheers axl

Proteus
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
Just an fyi, you will get better growth out of young Discus at a higher pH.

as for the C02, KH ratios, well that is another matter altogether.

You could try using peat to drop the pH prior to going into the tank.

vishy
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:38 PM
Don't bother just do smaller water changes and theres no point using peat as too much will inhibit plant growth. So either don't do as many water changes or just smaller ones like 25% sounds like a good idea,
Matt