PDA

View Full Version : interesting idea: two tanks conected one planted one aerated

rytis
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 12:39 AM
been thinking about doing something like that for a while and i think i eventualy will.... but i was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this: supose i have one tank with aeration, filtration no plants and another tank with co2, live plants no filtration. both conected with an opening just big enough for discus to pass thru... water basically would not interfere with each other i know that... what are your thoughts on this?
would the discus go into the planted tank? would they find their way out to better water?.......

mcloughlin2
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:40 AM
It would be the same as having half ur tank planted and half bare bottom ...

water basically would not interfere with each other i know that.

Do u mean that the co2 would just stay in the planted area ? If so that isnt true .. :? . the co2 will spread throughout the tank and the ph, temperature etc would be the same through the whole tank ... :D

It would be a pain to make aswell , and a complete waste of time ... :wink:

If u wana breed discus go for a bare bottom tank , if u want to keep them as display fish in a planted tank go planted ... simple ... :D

Ps .. U would have to have a filter on both sides of the "Tank" if u only have a small hole for the discus to swim through to get to the other side, as the plants wen they lose leaves the leaves would pollute the tank and all the fish waste would just go bad .. :P

HTH .

Just my opinion ..im keen to see wat other people think .. wouldnt be a bad idea in a way but it needs some serious thought so everything functions :D

vishy
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 12:13 PM
Mate why not just have a cranking planted tank with co2 and heaps of light? No need for daily water changes just weekly or once every 2 weeks, rotting plant matter and poo isnt a problem just feeds my plants my nitrate levels bottom out on a daily basis and i never see ammonia or nitrite, so why not?
Thanks
Matt

rytis
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 12:32 PM
thats what i have now basicaly...