PDA

View Full Version : Airstone or spraybar

endless
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 02:03 AM
I have a planted tank that is also heavily stocked with fish. I have noticed recently that my discus are breathing fairly fast because of the lack of surface movement in my tank (ie to prevent co2 from escaping). However it has come to a point when i think it is necessary to either put an airstone or have my spraybar breaking the water surface to increase the oxygen to my fish.

My question is which method will maximise oxygen and minimise co2 from escaping?

Liverpool_pete
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:15 AM
endless,

I think your question is relay a answer in itself. If you add oxygen to the water you are in effect removing the C02 from the water. If you add movement or air you will counteract the effects from any added C02.

What you need to do would be to lower the amount of C02 you are adding to the water so the plants are stimulated to make enough oxygen for the fish without saturating the water in either.

You need to find the happy medium and i think a C02 test kit would be helpfull in getting there.

Benny
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:49 AM
i dont inject co2 into my tank YET however i use my internal UV's powerhead to put o2 into the water
the bubbles are very fine, and most dont burst at the surface, id be interested to know if that perhaps is a solution..

endless
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 08:17 AM
I do have a co2 test kit but it really doesnt give much information. It pretty much just tells you if you have too little co2, too much co2 or the right amount of co2. it doesnt give you a quantative figure. my tank is at the just right mark. im afraid if i reduce the co2 algae might overtake my tank cause i have pretty strong lighting

axl
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 11:38 AM
Hey,
use this calculator to work out your co2 levels its handy to have, i use it all the time

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

[/url]

duck
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 01:00 PM
My question is which method will maximise oxygen and minimise co2 from escaping?
You can't have the cake and eat it, it's one or the other.
How many fish in how big of a tank?

endless
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:09 AM
Just added two bd so now 14 discus in total, 5 altums, 1 bn, 4 cories, couple of fighters, couple of cardinals.

Tank size is 5x2x2

duck
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 12:36 PM
IMO you got 3 choice's,put an air stone and be done with it,Or put ALOT more plant's to produce the O2 required,Reduce your fish load.

otto
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:01 PM
ducks right, thats a big fish load in a planted tank. it makes it hard to balance an equilibrium. alot more stem plants.

endless
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:18 AM
thanks for the advice guys