PDA

View Full Version : BGK with Discus

BlackGhost
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:32 AM
Do you think i could keep my BGK with some discus? Proably a planted tank.

Stuart
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:35 AM
As far as I am aware the BGKF are the more peaceful of the knife fish so they wouldn't bother the Discus. I wonder if it wouldn't be the other way round since they are very peaceful. Also I know these fish are very susceptible to electrical currents and so all equipment running on the tank needs to be well earthed.

AdelaideAnt
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:36 PM
Your disucs will not appreciate spending all night awake considering BGK are nocturnal. They will likely stress your discus out. I would not keep them together for this reason.

Anthony

coops
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:35 PM
I have a 4inch BGK in my 4x2x2 with discus and have had no problems, seems to be a great tankmate, they look so cool too!!

AdelaideAnt
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 05:21 AM
4 inch is only a baby considering they grow to 18 inch+. I'm not saying that they will always freak out the discus, some discus may be fine, but common sense tells me that they will likely not be a good mix.

Anthony

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 07:53 AM
It probably wouldnt be a good idea to have one unless the tank is big and heavily planted.... :wink:

Cliffeh
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't have one unless with adults. I have a BGK in 100g planted tank with 5 adults and don't have any problems, the BGK is about 8"-10" at the moment and the discus ignore him and vice versa.

Saying that I do have a contingency tank ready in case he does start to bother them and when I bought Mac (the knifefish... wifes idea!) it was fully understanding he might need to be rehoused with something more robust, but right now he bothers them less than my bristlenose.