PDA

View Full Version : Undergravel Filtration Good or Bad

Bad Inferno
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:30 AM
I currently have a Ehiem reverse flow undergravel filter where the canister return is fed under the gravel and to a spray bar, supposed to put warm water under the gravel.

Give me a heads up..undergravel filter in a planted discus tank Good or Bad

Ben
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi mate,

I don’t have gravel in any of my discus tanks, all bare bottom so my experience is some what limited with a question like this.

But!

I would have to say that it is a very good idea to have an under gravel filter, especially since it is connected with an external canister filter.

Because of the movement of water passing through the gravel this will increase the good bacteria as well as oxygenate the gravel improving plant growth.

So.....

I give it the thumbs up!

Cheers,
Ben

Davo
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:08 PM
UGF are definitely a no no for planted tanks.

UGF require cleaning and this means pulling the plate up through the gravel which is not a good idea in a planted tank. They also store rotting gunk etc under the plate which causes big problems.

But I have also read that other people have also used them without problems.

I myself would never use one. Eheim Cannister filters rule.

Dave.

Bad Inferno
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:22 PM
the idea of pushing water under the plates and up through the gravel was to keep the gravel alive, plant roots warm and no mess under the plates as its filtered water being pushed under the plates.

Reverse flow under gravel really never took off and I do not know why ?

vishy
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:30 AM
Only problem I see would be if you have nutrients or such in your gravel, eg. nutrient rich gravel or laterite may cause problem but lets wait and see what Duck says :D
Good Luck
Matt

duck
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:25 PM
Davo said it all and i agree with him and would never would use one myself,But the part about the Eheim cannister's ruling that i don't Know :)

but lets wait and see what Duck says
Please I'm no better than anyone else here

RK
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 05:33 AM
Wont it push all the fish poop up and out of the gravel, instead of keeping in the gravel, where plant roots can gather nutrients from? And wont this make the water messy too?