PDA

View Full Version : Im going with a barebottom tank with my discus what color

texasborn
Mon May 24, 2004, 11:17 PM
should I paint the bottom of my tank? I also wanted to know what you guys think about having bubble wands in a discus tank? To much movement good/bad? thanks, Jeff

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 12:47 AM
no need to paint the bottom IMO, plus with a layer of foam underneath it will be white anyways...

as for the bubble wand, I just replied to your other post, try using a sponge filter or two.

flukes
Wed May 26, 2004, 01:29 PM
White is the easiest for them to see the food, so leave it clear and the foam will make the food easy for them to see and easy for you too see how much waste to clean :lol:

texasborn
Wed May 26, 2004, 05:41 PM
You guys keep saying foam, what foam?

Proteus
Wed May 26, 2004, 10:14 PM
The layer of polystyrene foam that must be placed under the base of every fishtank so as to even out the load and absorb any slight variations in the level.

texasborn
Thu May 27, 2004, 12:48 AM
my 55gallon tank has no foam underneath it, what should I do?

Proteus
Thu May 27, 2004, 01:06 AM
ummmm, is it just sitting on timber???

You really should have a 1/2 to 1 inch layer of foam wherever the glass comes into contact with a hard surface...

All it takes is a slight irregularity, some excessive vibrations, or a knock, and you could have a busted tank... that means lots of water to clean up, and some not so happy fish.

The idea of the foam is firstly to take away any very small irregularities, as well as ensuring no bits of grit or gravel affect the base of the tank... just one microscopic bit of gravel can easily turn into a nasty crack when you take into account the weight of the glass & water. (imagine walking barefoot and stepping on a tiny sharp rock with the front or heel of your foot, ouch!!!).

If it is not too late, drain the tank into a container so you can re-use the water, and either slide a piece of foam which is the same size as the tank under the base, or just add strips of foam wherever the glass rests on the stand.

I will try and find some images which may explain this better.

texasborn
Thu May 27, 2004, 03:57 AM
thanks

happydiscus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:12 AM
where can i get this foam from

Proteus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:30 AM
Any aquarium store...

Clark Rubber stores, some hardware stores... etc

happydiscus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:56 AM
thx

Mattzilla
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 12:37 PM
ditto with everything proteus said

matt

weird
Tue Aug 17, 2004, 07:23 AM
I agree. But a funny one on one 2 ft tank, I have used successfully a side from a woolworths grocery delivery grate that was left behind ... it was kewl because I did not think the stand adequately supported the bottom of the tank.