PDA

View Full Version : please ID plant for me

sammigold
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 03:51 AM
Hi, I bought a new plant for my tank the other day from a pet shop. I got it for $3 as the girl thought it was a bit scraggly, but I could see that it had a lot of new little leaves starting to grow and I think it is sort of supposed to look like it does. Anyway it has long thin leaves dark green on top and a rich purple underneath. The pet shop called it a Red Dragon is this correct. I want to see if I can get some more if it survives the 29degree temp. Anyway here is a few pics maybe somebody can ID it for me.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 04:42 AM
Sammi I believe it's called Dragon Flames. One of the more difficult plants to grow. If it takes off in your tank it will grow into quite a large plant with bright green on the top of the leaf and a very deep purple underneath.

BTW Discus seem to find it very tasty !

:lol:

sammigold
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks for that... I did notice my Discus having a little sniff and peck when I first put it in. So far I haven't noticed any actual "eaten off bits" I hope I have luck with it.... I just chuck them in (plants that is) and they don't get much special treatment so hopefully it survives my terrible black thumb approach!!! :lol:

Foz in Oz
Sat Nov 12, 2005, 01:37 AM
I have one of these too it is dragon flames, they love plenty of iron fertiliser for that rich purple underleaf!! With CO2 the plant also gets little white flower buds.

sammigold
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:08 PM
Well ladyred was right my discus enjoyed that treat.... poor plant didnt last long... they ate right down to the gravel!!!!! cest la vie...lol