PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Sydney Water

Proteus
Mon May 24, 2004, 12:45 PM
I have some concerns of late relating to Sydney water, in the past week there have been some huge fluctuations.

I age my water for 2-3 days, usually from the tap my water has a pH of 7.8, and after aging and being airated for a few days it is usually 6.8. Well only just in the past week, the pH from the tap is 6.6, but after aging for exactly the same time as usual (based on doing the same thing every day for over a month now) the pH is 4.8... yikes

GH & KH are relatively the same, although marginally lower.

This is using a 200L container, heated to 28c.

Mattzilla
Mon May 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
i noticed my tap water was a little mirky yesterday...might have to test everything tomorrow

thanks for the heads up mate

matt

dreamer
Tue May 25, 2004, 02:05 AM
pH 4.8 :shock: :shock: i think its time to bring those testers out.... cant remember when was the last time i used them ... i normally do water change straight from tap :) for more than a year without problem ..
water storage just not visible if you are living in apartment. but the fish appear to be fine ...eat alot ... laid lotsa eggs ...and of cos they all got eaten as they are in community tank :twisted:

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 02:32 AM
You would be surprised what you can get if you know where to look...

I am in a 2BR apartment as well, and found some great 200L containers at the local hardware store. It comes complete with a stand, a tap and lid, and although it is quite cumbersome, it isnt that ugly, and it serves its purpose well...

I will take some pics later and post.

I have just filled it again so I will do some tests every few hours to see what is going on, I just used some calcium and sodium bicarbonate to raise the pH to a normal level on the existing water and used it for my community tanks.

dreamer
Tue May 25, 2004, 05:38 AM
there is just no space for drum in the apartment ... even my breeding pairs have to stay in balcony ...i dont want to imagine the electricity bills for this winter ... :? :shock: might have to move them into kitchen

bbyw
Tue May 25, 2004, 08:25 AM
proteus where abouts did u get your200l container complete with stand & how much?

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 08:35 AM
I got it from Bunnings a month or two ago, at the time it was on special for around $60 if I recall.

They have 150L, 200L & 300L in the same style.

The only down side is you will need a drill, or know someone that can drill the hole to place the tap fitting that comes with it. Other than that, it is a saviour...

I realise you can get the blue ones for a bit cheaper, but you have to find them, ensure they have not had anything toxic in them, and then custom make a tap fitting or use a powerhead/pump to get the water out...

Here is a pic FYI.

Mattzilla
Tue May 25, 2004, 08:50 AM
nice looking set up

i will be getting one of the 2ooltr blue ones next tuesday night

matt

bbyw
Tue May 25, 2004, 09:02 AM
nice set up proteus; goin to get one tonight. thanks

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 09:19 AM
Let me know what price they are if you can, cause I might get a couple more...

As I said, I think it was about $60 but it was on special, and they keep them in the wholesale area, so no prices marked.

bbyw
Tue May 25, 2004, 10:10 AM
they were $99,but i think it was a 300ltr drum(1 size only)& they were in plumbing.

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 10:41 AM
Did you get one???

If it is any help I got mine from the Taren Point Bunnings store and they had pallet loads of them, all 3 sizes.

bbyw
Tue May 25, 2004, 11:57 AM
no;but thanks i willgo to taren point tomorrow.

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 12:38 PM
To be safe, maybe give them a call first...

(it was well over a month ago since I was there)

flukes
Wed May 26, 2004, 01:36 PM
I made a tap for mine and now i dont even use it, i ended up putting a 1000lph pump i got for $20 in the bottom and just pump it too which ever tank iam cleaning.

Proteus
Wed May 26, 2004, 10:16 PM
If i am doing big water changes I have a 1500LPH powerhead attached to a hose that I drop in there, otherwise, i will just fill a couple of buckets if I am just vacuuming the bottoms, or topping up.

Best of both worlds IMO...

:wink: