PDA

View Full Version : URGENT help needed....

TeeFM
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 12:48 PM
I just noted a small skin ulcer on my discus today. Size ~2mm.

What should I do? I have not got a hospital tank...

There are 5 rummy nose, 6 cardinal tetra, 2 bristlenose, and 6 head and tail light tetra in the tank.

Any help will be appreciated...

I cannot attached any photos as they are all larger than 128 k in size.

chris
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 12:59 PM
He Tee thats not good, tell us more about this ulcer.
A picture really would help try to reduce it with paint stretch and skew, in the edit menu :?:

TeeFM
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 01:30 PM
I have finally worked it out how to reduce the size of photo...here it is..

TeeFM
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 01:33 PM
More of this....on it's forehead..

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 03:16 PM
The position of that mark makes me wonder if it's actually an injury, and not an ulcer. It looks too clean and there is no red area around it.

I've had a similar sort of injury happen to one of my fish, when it dashed madly thru the tank, after a fright, and hit his head on the bracing at the top of the tank.

Keep an eye on the injury, and if you notice it starting to get worse, or if you see any reddening around the edges of the injury, please let us know.

If it's just an injury, it will begin to heal very quickly. Daily water changes will keep the water clean and the bacteria count low, which will aid in healing.

TeeFM
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
Thank you Merrilyn,

I think it is injury too. The "skin abrasion" does not look infected to me either. The discus has remained very active and always looks for food. I will do 30% daily water change for a few days. How long will it take for the lesion to heal up? Would add in salt facilitate healing? I am using Aqua plus by Hagen to condition my water and it claims that it will protect skin and speed healing...is this true?

chris
Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:00 AM
Keep up the water changes, you should see improvement daily :!:

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:19 PM
You can add a little salt to the water if you wish, but the main thing is to keep the water clean with frequent changes.

I think you'll find complete healing in less than a week.

Darth_discus
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 03:38 AM
talking about salt can you use it in a barebottom tank with otto, bristlenose catfish, neons and rams also an angel just asking because i want to give the discus a salt bath.

Also is it a good idea to give a salt bath once while for discus(same tank as above)

P.S i hope your fish gets better Tee

Benny
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 03:47 AM
I dont think you can with bristlies or ottos....

I know that scaleless fish have no salt tolerance, and from what little i know of catties, both are scaleless (or at least Bristlenose catties are!)

Regards
Benny

TeeFM
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 01:53 PM
Thank you all for your valuable advise. I think I've seen some improvement in the skin lesion today. I will continue to do water changes...thanx again.... :D

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 06:23 AM
That's good to hear. You should see complete healing within the next few days.

TeeFM
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:17 PM
you are not going to believe this.....my discus with a skin lesion is going to be father soon......

the skin lesion continue to heal...hopefully :D

I am so glad..........almost unbelievable.... :P :D :D :D :D :D :D