PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma panduro

Reillin
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:37 AM
Hello,

Well the guys have settled in and are taking live daphnia and frozen bloodworms. They won't touch my homemade shrimp and spinach mix though.

Their fins are looking a lot better now and some colours are coming out. A peculiar behaviour I have noted is that the females seems to the the more aggressive fish in the tank. It is almost as if the females are the ones holding the particular territory and lets the favoured male reside in it. More observations will be need.

I tried to capture some on film but alas my love for photography far outweighs my current knowledge and skill.

Here is a male.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Little_Tommy/malepanduro.jpg

And here are the pair on this end of the tank.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Little_Tommy/pairpanduro.jpg

Cheers,
Vien.

I will have better photos when they are out of the quarantine and into their home tanks.

Ben
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 09:13 AM
Looking Great Vien!!!

Let me know when you breed those guys as i would like to buy some!

cheers,
Ben

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:00 PM
Lovely fish Vien.

AussieStar
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:14 PM
yea really nice

wickedglass
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 11:35 PM
who sells these? I've been looking around but nothing.

Th0mas
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:56 AM
Hello,

Their fins are looking a lot better now and some colours are coming out. A peculiar behaviour I have noted is that the females seems to the the more aggressive fish in the tank. It is almost as if the females are the ones holding the particular territory and lets the favoured male reside in it. More observations will be need.

From my past experience with them, the panduro has one hell of a temper. At very small size, they'll have a go at each other as well as other apisto species that are 3 times their sizes. The extend of bending they do to themselve while in agression is amazing (most other apisto flare their gills, sometime swing their tail, but these fellow gets their body in a "S" shape - however that bending ability seems to goes away as the fish gets larger).

Panduro has been one of my all time favourite, unfortunately there's none around Sydney LFS for the last few months. They are fish with real character.

Thomas.

kevkoi
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:27 AM
haha.. nice that u noticed that S bending in the young fish... I noticed that with my juvies too.

Panduro has been one of my all time favourite, unfortunately there's none around Sydney LFS for the last few months. They are fish with real character.

Thomas, that's 'cos u didn't ask. :lol: I've got 2 strains of panduro here. One is the one Reilin posted (the strain I recently got off a Peru import) and the other "tail bar" variant which used to be far less common, though these days they're showing up more and more in Singapore.

Th0mas
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:59 AM
Hey Kev,

Now you tell me.

The tail bar variant, I don't seems to notice any difference between the pic and one I've seen (and had) in the past.

Can you be a bit more explicit on the differences.

Thomas.

kevkoi
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 03:32 AM
For that Thomas, u will have to read what Romer has to says about these 2 variants in his Atlast 2 when it comes on to the shelves.

:lol: All I can tell you is that there is a distinct difference in breeding behaviour.

wickedglass
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:08 AM
anyone selling these in melbourne?

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:53 AM
hey u have some nice fish!!! keep up the good work!!!!