PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Trouble

Ringo
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 05:30 PM
Hi,
I have a 90 gallon planted discus aquarium that is have algae problems. The algae is green and compact, it is on the substrate and the plant leaves. I have been doing weekly water changes (40%) with RO water.
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
PO4 0.25-0.4
Ph 6.5
Temp 85F

I have been reading alot on the website and one problem seems to be the balance between PO4 and NO3. I have just added some Seachem Nitrogen to try and help with this balance. How often should I test the water and how long will it take to get it balanced? I am also using a CO2 tank for the plants and adding iron, flourish, and excel (Seachem products). Lastly the other thing I noticed is that the water has an odor to it. This is my first planted aquarium so I am not sure whether or not it should have a mild odor. If I can figure out how to post pics I will.

Thanks

axl
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 10:24 PM
Hey,
your right in what you have read, you need to get your kno3 and po4 in balance thats why you have got the algea outburst. Your Kno3 should be at 10ppm and your p04 should be at no more than 1, the ratio is 10 : 1, so if your po4 is 2 yourkno3 needs to be at 20ppm. The cheapest form of kno3 in potassium nitrate, i use 1/4 of teaspoon each wc and that raises my level up to 10ppm in 70g tank. If you need some let me and we can arrange somthing for ya. Looks like your po4 is right , you just need to get your kno3 up to 10 and the algea will slowly dissapear. >Last thing Algea loves Co2 so if your levels of kno3 have been at 0 for a while, the algea has had a good home for a while as you have been feeding it its fav food Co2.
cheers axl

Ringo
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 02:59 AM
Thanks, any idea how long it takes to raise the no3? Should I turn off the co2? What kno3 do you use? I purchased some kent nitrogen liquid. I never thought a planted aquarium could be so difficult.

Thanks again :D

Ringo
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:09 AM
One more thing, will the existing algae die off or should I remove the plants and rinse them. I believe someone (duck if I remember correctly) suggested to someone else to use a mixture of bleach and water (1:10). Is it harmful to the plants using this formulation, I assume it isn't. Also is it hard for the plants to reestablish themselves?

Thanks everyone

axl
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 04:25 AM
Hey,
i use pure Kno3 its called potassium nitrate and its the best form and the cheapist out there, as i said i only use 1/4 teaspoon each wc for a 70g tank. I would keep the co2 going and i would manually remove the algea as best as possible. It will take a couple of months for your tank to seetle down and i wouldnt worry about other nutrients at this stage just get your kno3 and po4 in balance first and then worry about other things susch as iron etc. It will be come easier for ya once you understand what your tank and plants are doing . If you want some pure kno3 of me let us no and i can send some out to ya and the price is $30 per 1kg that includes postage to ya. This is my normal routine ok

monday - change 50% water, add 1/4 teaspoon kno3 then check makesure levels are right and then check po4 levels with test kits.
tuesday- add 6ml seachem flourish, 5ml seachem iron
wednesday - do nothing
Thursday- check kno3 level and po4 level adjust if necessary, add 6m seachem flourish

thats it do that routine and you wont have any trouble with algea that is the tom barr estimative inder theory, sorry about the long post but there is so much to tell ya and i have only breifly summerized it.
read up as much as you can from the net

duck
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
One more thing, will the existing algae die off or should I remove the plants and rinse them. I believe someone (duck if I remember correctly) suggested to someone else to use a mixture of bleach and water (1:10). Is it harmful to the plants using this formulation, I assume it isn't. Also is it hard for the plants to reestablish themselves?

Thanks everyone
You have to get it out as much as you can, Then you can bleach them,It doesn't hurt them but don't leave it in for to long or you will kill them,Make sure you give them a good rinsing.
Is your algea like a green/brown carpet covering substrate plants?

Ringo
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:51 PM
It's just green algea that is able to be removed in one piece. Sorry I really can't think off any other way to describe it.