PDA

View Full Version : OK phosphates!

Shawnts106
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 10:04 PM
Well... I figured out why my tank is growing lots of algae and has 0 ppm nitrates!.... PHOSPHATES...

they are OUT THE ROOF.... OVER 2.0 on the RedSea test Kit I have, which is brand new and I trust their products!

I have done two 50% WC in 2 days and it is still WAYYYY high..... still over 2.0

SO I am now going to do a 50% WC twice a day if I can.... durring the weekdays I might only be able to do it once...

BUT.... SOME MORE GOOD NEWS IS THIS:

I have recently, about 1 week ago, purchased 3 Bosemani Rainbows.... and I belive with all this water changing its caused them to go into breeding.... The two apparent MALES are turning a really dark blue color on the first half of the body and the last half is a darker yellowish green...

while the female is developing a horizontal line of her body and her colors are seeming to "fade" almost...

They are DEFINATELY trying to breed, the male is showing " SYMPTOMS" so to speak! HAHA

Im quite excited as I didnt know that they breed in captivity! :)

please help if you have any!!!!!!!!!!

WISH ME LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

OscarManAlpha
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 11:39 PM
http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Melanotaenia.htm

This site has lots of info on Rainbows breeding raising ect...

Also have a look at AusFishForum there is an Australasian Natives
Discussion on all aquatic species Native to the Australian & South East Asian region section. Maybe you can post some pics there.

I believe gelf one of the members there breeds rainbows.

I have not bred Bosemani, but have and am breeding and raised M.Trifaciata, Praecox and Pseudomugil signifer, and am wanting to try Glossolepis incisus which i have both sex's of but have had no sucess with yet. And yes they love to be flushed out with new water. Watch them from the top you will see something a camera can't capture. That is the flashing thing they do ( the males ) on there heads awesome stuff.
Normally 1 or 2 mins after your lights are turned on is a good time to view this.