PDA

View Full Version : Hard water

texasborn
Tue May 18, 2004, 09:39 PM
I have hard water here. So do I just need to go to RO now?? :?: Ive heard peat doesnt work well around these parts and really makes the tank yellow. But I want the best for my fish. How do you get your RO if you dont have a RO system? Just makes dozens of trips to the RO place or what? :twisted:

flukes
Wed May 19, 2004, 02:02 PM
If you are truely gifted at DIY you could make one, but it is very complicated and will still cost you close to the amount that your needing to pay for the unit in the first place.
With peat it is more for lowering the ph, and yes it will make the water yellow as it leaks tannins into the water. (The discus will love it but you might not)
Buying RO water will end up costing you as much as buying a unit, after a few months of purchases. I think a unit might be necessary, so if it comes to that your better off going for the largest unit you can afford as when your tanks begin to multiply it will be a pain using a smaller RO unit. It might seem at the time that a smaller one will do but trust me in time you will wish you got the larger unit.
Cant really help you much more as in Oz there isnt much need for them for hardness terms. You might be better asking a member from the U.S, also i think Proteus has one so maybe wait for a reply from him.

Good luck and happy discusing!!

Scott

Proteus
Wed May 19, 2004, 11:03 PM
I wish I had a full blown RO unit...

I have a 3 phase tap filter (only small) where water passes through some fine filament, then some carbon like stuff, then another white granule looking stuff. It is primarily a drinking water filter, but the Discus love it (mind you I only use that occassionally, as I typically use the aged water in a 200L (50g) barrel which is 2-3 days old and stabilised)...

Even though the initial cost of a good RO unit is high, over time it will pay for itself, and be a lot easier than buying water all the time.

HTH

flukes
Thu May 20, 2004, 08:03 AM
Yeah i saw those tap filter (Kind of R.O unit) for sale for $120. Is that a good price for it, Ro?? Wondering if I should bother getting one, i know it isnt as good as a proper R.O unit but i dont really need one so maybe the simple design will be the way too go. Also do they have a lph average or is it just the pressure on the inlet connection??
If it takes me a while to do 200ltrs then i wont be getting it.
How often do you actually use it? I was thinking of using it and fill up my storage barrel. Only reason is because i want to use the carbon to help get rid of the crap in the tap water. If not i might just get a corner filer filled with carbon and driven with air for the storage barrel.

If anyone has info on this product that would be great.

Cheers
Scott