PDA

View Full Version : Billabong Bugs - PICS

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hey guys,

Well as some peeps here know Ben gave me some Billabong Bugs to grow up and show everybody. I got home from Noosa last night and now i can fully document these guys progress everyday. Hope u guys enjoy and cant wait to see what these interesting creatures look like (im hatching them right now).

BTW i wasnt sure where to post this thread so if the mods think it would go better somewhere else can u move it for me :P

Here are some photo's to start with :-

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 12:11 AM
This is the tank they will be housed in. It is situated on my bedside table. It recieves partial sunlight but i have a aquarium light on top for extra light.

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 12:20 AM
HERE COME THE EGGS!!!!

As i am unsure on how much bug dust to put in the tank and since the tank is not the biggest i put a pinch of bug dust in. The eggs are scattered thoughout the bug dust so it isnt like brine shrimp eggs. I take it that there is eggs and sand that make up the bug dust. Hopefully i will get from 3 to 10 bugs which is an appropriate number for this size tank. There is no sand in the tank as of yet (to show their progress better). They also live in demineralised water so i dont want large amounts of them at one time because i can only get about 6L of demineralised water from my demineraliser each day. The eggs went in at 9:40am and should hatch in a few hours. The tank is kept at 26 degrees celsius.

i hope to update this later on today and hopefully will have some live Billabong Bugs to show u guys.

mcloughlin2
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:44 AM
Are they like sea monkeys?? how big do they grow??? :D

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:56 AM
No sea monkeys are actually brine shrimp. These guys should grow to about 9cm AT THE MOST.

the site for these guys is: www.billabongbugs.com

mcloughlin2
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 04:24 AM
There ugly little things...Lmao :lol:

Ben
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 04:28 AM
thats awesome David!

keep us posted mate!!!

cheers,
Ben

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 04:37 AM
cheers Ben. and yeh mcloughlin they r but i wanna c their 3 eyes... thats kool as!

goldenpigeon
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:03 AM
ok guys,
after 5 days i finally have discovered 1 billabong bug has hatched! he is a funny lil fella and only 3-4mm long (takes me a minute to spot him still). i am glad he has hatched cause i was beginning to thing i had done something wrong and was about to try again soon. well this lil fella is so cute but only has 2 eyes (from what i can tell lol).

i will keep you updated on his progress and will post pics in a day or 2 when he is big enough for the camera to focus on. :P

Littlefish
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:32 AM
Good stuff, Junior!

Looking forward to the pics.

Fred

Ben
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:51 AM
congrats junior!

pics mate pics!!!!

lol

Cheers,
Ben

Darth_discus
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 02:05 AM
you better come through with the goods GP
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hahahahaha

wyldchyld01
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 02:00 PM
not to burst a bubble, but the three eye thing is called a puff (by law anyway) get the three eye's lol i wanna see it with my two

Brenton

ps at least you got one, i can't even hatch bbs

Ben
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 08:02 AM
Where are you junior???

you seem a bit quiet lately!!

heheheh

hope you did not murder the bugs!

Ben
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:30 AM
Where are you junior!!!

I hope the bug did not grow to gigantic size and decide to eat you for a snack!

cheers,
Ben

goldenpigeon
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 07:50 AM
hi guys... geez it has been a long time! never have any time to do anything anymore. cant get away from the darn txt books! :evil: irs driving me crazy!

well here re some pics of the bugger (bug-ger hehehe ;) )

unfortunantly he passed away yesterday due to unknown causes :cry:

it was probably lonelines.

anyway i shall hatch all the bugs this wkend and hopefully get more this time round. its sad cause this guy was doing so well, eating like a pig, he got to about 4 cm

endless
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:06 AM
wow... what the hell is it?

Ben
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:31 AM
wow David!!

thats amazing!

keep us posted mate!

oscar
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 08:53 AM
I'm with endless. What the fork is that!!

goldenpigeon
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:39 AM
its a billabong bug. they r really kool. hehehe especially when they swim upside down (normal behavior)

DiscusMan
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:49 AM
All i can say is that this is some weird stuff!!!!

wonder why companies make money out of sellgin these sort of things thou. OH well if you sell it they will come so to say.

Wayne

Ben
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:00 PM
That’s true Wayne.

But i guess these bugs are only available in Australia and there is a lot of prehistoric history behind them.

Cheers,
Ben

goldenpigeon
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 12:43 AM
true ben there is a lot of history behind them

these things make a good first pet because all they need is light during the day and warmth. u dont need to filter/airate the water. so there is not noise from airpumps and people sometimes like a silent pet. anyways they r good fun to watch. hehehehe