PDA

View Full Version : Leaving discus alone while on holidays.

chrissyoscar
Mon May 17, 2004, 10:51 PM
I'm going away for 2 weeks in September with no one to look after my fish.
I've done a little reseach and I've heard that some people don't feed there fish for 2 weeks and they leave the lights turned off or on timers but only for a few hours a day.
This is because if they don't eat they don't poo so amonia hopefully isn't a problem. I'm assuming the lights remain off because of stress or maybe so the fish are less active I'm not sure.
They also do a massive water change before leaving.
Is this really ok for the fish as I'ld hate to come home to dead fish.
At the momment I have a pair in a breeding tank, size 30"x14"x18" bare bottom sponge filter and canister filter. I also have 7 discus in a bare bottom tank 48"x14"x18" with a canister filter and sponge filter.
I'm thinking about purchasing a few auto feeders.
Should I starve them or not.
Has anybody left there fish alone for two weeks. How did your fish handle it and what did you do to prepare them before leaving.

Any advise on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.. Oscar

Proteus
Mon May 17, 2004, 11:28 PM
If it were for a few days no problem, but 2 weeks is very risky.

Although I would say the chances are small, but what if a heater packs it in, or a filter blocks up... I wont say anymore.

I would be looking at getting someone to at least check on them every few days, give them a feed, and myabe a small partial water change.

Maybe one of the members here that are local to you might be able to help...

flukes
Tue May 18, 2004, 09:38 AM
Ill do it for you oscar!! Might be tempted to pinch a few leopard snakeskins though. 8)

chrissyoscar
Tue May 18, 2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the offer Scott
but I should be right.
I'll get myself an auto feeder and set it up a few months in advance to test it and get it all working right.
My mother in law or father in law will drop over every 2-3 days and check on the fish.
I'll get a drum of aged water ready and all they'll have to do is a small water change after a week.
I'll also get them to add a block of bloodworms or beefheart everytime they come over.
Hopefully that'll be fine.

Again thanks for the offer but at least now you wont be tempted with the Leopard snakeskins. :D

Thanks.. Oscar