PDA

View Full Version : hey all :)

nath
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:14 AM
hey all

ive been keeping cichlids for some time now (love my tangs) and im thinking of starting a discus tank, i have one 4 foot tank free with a crushed granite substrate, cf1200 aqua pro canister filter (running a spray bar) and no light on this tank, any feed back / ideas would be great.

my current fish list

18 Cyphotilapia frontosa Burundi - 6 Bar Frontosa
7 Altolamprologus calvus
5 Altolamprologus compressiceps 'Kigoma' FireFin
10 Altolamprologus compressiceps 'gold'
5 Synodontis Multipunctatus 'cuckoo cats
4 juliochromis dickfeildi
4 cyprichromis leptosoma' neon heads'
3 Julidochromis transcriptus gombe

mis'
breeding pair of bristle nose also to many to mention
sailfin gibbi's

cheers nath

DR.V
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:39 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Thats great to hear that you thinking of starting a discus tank.

But its not a good idea to put discus with the cichlids you have since they're aggressive.

Keeping discus is not that hard. And if you got any questions or problem just ask here, and other member will help you. They're all friendly and very helpfull.

I think 4ft tank would be a great size to start with. Once you get a couple of discus, im sure you cant resist to add more.

Getting a light for a discus tank is important, so they can show their colour fully and you can enjoy them to the max as well.

Good luck.

Ben
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 11:15 AM
welcome to the forum Nath!

cheers,
Ben

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:35 PM
Hello Nath, and welcome to the forum.

You're not moving that far away from your chosen species. Discus are cichlids too.

Your tank sounds ideal, but I'm a bit concerned about the crushed granite in the tank. I think you may find it will make your water too hard for the discus.

If you've been reading the posts here, you'll know that discus are different to most other fish. Frequent and large water changes are essential for discus. It's the one rule you simply cannot break.

Good luck with you venture into Discus. We're all here to help you every step of the way.

nath
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 10:09 PM
But its not a good idea to put discus with the cichlids you have since they're aggressive. yea its an empty tank that i have, i was thinking of puting in some C leptosoma 'Mpulungu' but always wanted discus, so ive decided to give them a go. (but i did have to sell my electric blue colony :( )

Your tank sounds ideal, but I'm a bit concerned about the crushed granite in the tank. I think you may find it will make your water too hard for the discus. yea i thought it may be worth a mention. (crushed marble not granite sorry) is it worth scrapping the substrate?

cheers
nath

axelfaz
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 11:32 PM
hi mate crushed marble will definitly(spelling) make your water harder I use it in my Malawi tanks to riaise the hardness and ph. take it out and use sand or gravel. I hope this helps. by the way welcome.

Cameron

nath
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 12:21 AM
cheers cameron :)

ive got some sand ill swap it over :)

nath

Benny
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 12:29 AM
the sand should be a pool filter sand, that is silica based (crushed quartz) do not use coral sand, it will also harden your water!!!

Oh, By the way, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Benny
(the forum nuisance)

nath
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 12:40 AM
yea cheers benny got it sused :)

nath

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 06:17 AM
Welcome to DF.com!! :D

-Sam

nath
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 06:09 AM
thanks mate

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 06:33 AM
yo yo yo punk and welcome to DF.com :P glad to have u here :twisted:

sounds like things r commin along good ;)

ctvu
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 04:42 AM
Hi Nath

Welcome to DF. It is good to have another Melb one.
See you around

ctvu

kinezo
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
hi nath

welcome to the forum mate...
glad to see another melb...

we slowing getting our numbers up

kinezo

nath
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 10:06 PM
thanks guys :)