PDA

View Full Version : Snails in Tank and want to get rid of them completely

axl
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi,
last year for some stupid reason i decided to get 4 snails in my tank and a couple of months later i removed them thinking they had all gone but i was wrong they breed like rabbits. Now i wont to get rid of them completely and i have tried a product from my local lfs which had simazine in it and that didnt work so how do i get rid of them for good as anyone had the same problem and had success.
cheers axlk

Liverpool_pete
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 12:15 AM
Axl

Try getting a couple of Clown Loaches, they love feeding on snails and will clean them up preety quick and even if they dont get rid of all of them they will certinly keep them under control. I had snails come in on some plants i had in a molly tank and 2 clown loaches later there are no longer any snails and the clown loaches add a bit of colour to the tank as well and they are ok with discus as well.

TeeFM
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:17 AM
i had similar problem earlier. Please see discussion on this link:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4103

TeeFM
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:17 AM
i had similar problem earlier. Please see discussion on this link:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4103

AussieStar
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 09:04 AM
elephant noses are pretty good

axl
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
i added 2 clown loaches last week and the other day i saw 1 clown loach pick up a snail off the leaf and eat it, so there doing there job quite good

lesley
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 08:58 AM
I have never found that the clown loaches kept up with snails in my two tanks. Nevertheless, I love them and have three in each tank.

I overcame my snail problem when I got plecos. I occasionally see the odd snail, before the tanks were covered with them.

HTH

rytis
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 01:09 AM
yes LOACHES. i have red fox loaches, same shape as clowns bu nice blue color w red tail... awesome fish, but digs a lot, needs a pipe to hide in.... also a great scavenger

Liverpool_pete
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:02 AM
Rytis,

do you have a pic of him?????

Are they redily avaliable in aus??