PDA

View Full Version : Fighting or Kissing??

flukes
Sun May 16, 2004, 11:56 AM
Ok my SS and BD have been doing this for a few days now. The line them selfs up opposite each other and swim forward then back, the get close some times and what looks too be a snap but i havent seen this behaviour before. If one goes one the side and advances so will the other.

I made a video with my phone, but its a mp4 so you will need a player install along with the appropriate codecs.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/04021600.MP4

The Audio might be stuffed too but you dont need it anyway!

Tell me what you think, are they fighting or is this a possible pair?

Cheers
Scott

nicholas76
Tue May 25, 2004, 09:18 AM
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

they dont kiss mate, lovey dove behaviour consists of a pair swimming together, showing classic bowing moves, shivering, but this to me looks like a territorial argument

2 males - or 2 females you possibly might have.

Or a male female combo that just dont get along. It could get worse, if seen, had discus thatll rip shreds through each other.

Keep an eye on it

Nick

nicholas76
Tue May 25, 2004, 09:20 AM
that should read

"Ive seen discus thatll rip shreds into one another "

Proteus
Tue May 25, 2004, 09:23 AM
I have a couple of Ocean Greens that do that, primarily around feeding time.

They go hammer and tong for a minute or so, then are best buddies... go figure, I would agree with Nick, being that it is a territorial thing, or maybe even releasing a little testosterone... boys will be boys.

:lol:

flukes
Sun May 30, 2004, 12:26 PM
Hahahah, ok maybe they weren't kissing but the blue diamond has just layed a nice layer of eggs on a vals leaf. The SS looks to have fertilised it, as he was rubing up and down it and they have now turned yellow. I dont like the chances for one its there first time and secondly its on a very thin leaf which makes it hard for them.
Just wondering if they make it when do we see wrigglers?? 2 days is it?

kevkoi
Sun May 30, 2004, 01:57 PM
WaH? Those fish already spawning?! Geez... Well done mate!

kev

nicholas76
Sun May 30, 2004, 08:58 PM
Hahahah, ok maybe they weren't kissing but the blue diamond has just layed a nice layer of eggs on a vals leaf. The SS looks to have fertilised it, as he was rubing up and down it and they have now turned yellow. I dont like the chances for one its there first time and secondly its on a very thin leaf which makes it hard for them.
Just wondering if they make it when do we see wrigglers?? 2 days is it?

yeah usually day 2.

nice work. I bet there on again off again lovers, brawl one minute best friends the next. I once had a pair like that, could never work it out.

best of luck with the fry

flukes
Sun May 30, 2004, 11:40 PM
Got up this morn, and there is about 15eggs that are brighter than the other 200 or so, i am not very hopeful as the postion of them and its there first time.

chrissyoscar
Mon May 31, 2004, 12:06 AM
Great stuff Scott. :D

You'll start to see some of the eggs turn white around 24-30 hrs after being laid. Those are the unfertile eggs (dead eggs). From what I was told if they make it to about 48hrs you should start seeing little black eyes in the eggs and by the time the eggs are about 55 hrs approx they'll be hatching.
If you want to breed this pair get yourself a breeding tank as the chances of breeding in a community tank aren't good. Well that's what I've been told anyway.
Mine have laid eggs twice with no success but I'm still hoping :D
Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Also give them as much privacy as you can as apparently they can eat the eggs if disturbed to much. It all depends on the pair though.

Oscar

flukes
Mon May 31, 2004, 08:30 AM
They are in a community tank but with no other discus and the cories dont bother them and i dont think they have even noticed the bn's.
They seem to be good parents fanning the eggs and darting protectingly at anyone near the tank. There are about 100 eggs or so about 15 white ones that seem to poke out more and the rest are orange that seem to be smaller and dont seem to poke out as much. Iam not very hopeful for their first time and i dont really care as its a blue diamond and red SSS although they are grea stock i dont think the fry will be anything special. I want to see if i can swap their partners later down the track.