PDA

View Full Version : Dark, cramped up discus

waterflash
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:34 PM
Just came home to find one of my 4 discus barred up, very dary and fins all cramped, breathing very deep and hard not anymore rapid just deep breaths. Aggressive to two of the others and is just tolerating the one it came into the tank with originally. The others are fine and very happy.

Any suggestions welcome. I introduced some rummy nose tetra's into the tank on the weekend and some cory's but I cannot see how that would of made any difference, already had some other ummy's. Also running a UV serilizer and Co2, have been for 12 months.

Cheers

Robin

dreamer
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:02 PM
did you quarantine your new fish before introducing them?

waterflash
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:48 PM
I always do, but I am aware that doesn't completely knock out the possibility of introducing something. The question is what? This morning it is much the same but keeps nudging the discus it firs came into the tank with. Which I suspect is a male and the "sick" one may be a female?. Could this be a sign of a brooding female with a male that has no idea...lol?

Anyway to be on the safe side I have turned of the UV and put some metro into the tank, with extra airation so will see if it helps. All the others look fine.

Cheers

Robin

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 06:48 AM
Robin, what dose of metro are you using.

Try 250 mg per 40 lts (10 galls) of water every 8 hours with 30% waterchanges in between doses.

Keep the tank lights turned off, as metro is affected by light.

Can you give me an indication of your water parameters, and your normal routine with water changes. We might be able to pinpoint something.

waterflash
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks Lady Red,
I was going by that does from one of your earlier posts, did forget about the lights though. The discus hasn't got any worse but not better either. Was looking reasonable when I came home from work and it hadn't been fed for 8 hours. When I fed it within two bits of the beefheart it cramped up again. It wants to eat but seems like It is hurting to do so. A good does of tonsillitis maybe :D Anyway I will keep up the metro and water changes and see how I go.

Cheers

Robin

Bill T.
Fri Sep 16, 2005, 07:02 AM
Sounds like intestinal worms or parasites to me. Talk to Ladyred about Prazi?