PDA

View Full Version : Yellow fish with disucs

axl
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 04:38 AM
Hi,
just wondering what types of fish can go with discus that are all bright yellow in colour
cheers axl

oscar
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:48 AM
You aren't interested in yellow discus?

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:01 AM
lol @ oscar...just what i was thinking

oscar
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:33 AM
Not a good photo (from a while ago) very poor focus but will demonstrate nonetheless.

Alas, one bright yellow fish suitable for keeping with discus.

Note: Tank hadn't been set-up for long at time of photo.

piranha-discus
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:39 AM
ok i found some yellow fish if you want to add with your discus, they will be fine together with discus im sure, look in the web site www.exoticdiscus.com then go in the catalogue search the golden crystal,,,, there ya go, yellow fish!!! ben,

Stuart
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:32 PM
I have kept Golden Bristlenose Catfish with Discus with no problems. You might consider albino corys too. A shoal of lemon tetras might be quite nice too :)

weird
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 09:39 PM
Golden rams ... they are a bright yellow colour

dreamer
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:19 PM
there isnt many really bright yellow fish out there. all the fish mentioned above are not bright at all... perhaps yellowish?

by bright yellow i mean like the colour of electric yellow, but thats african which requires different water parameter or yellow tang which is marine fish

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:46 PM
there are yellow discus in the world

i got these pics off another discus forum to illistrate

i am pretty sure they have been heavily fed with carophyll yellow in their beef heart though

Stuart
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:00 AM
The only fish I have come across that are electric yellow are other cichlids like Yellow Labs - I assume you don't want them?

axl
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:14 PM
I have had electra yellows before would they be fine to go with discus, i though they would be to aggresive in the tank

goldenpigeon
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:59 PM
electric yellows and discus have very diff water perameters. discus are south american. electric yellows are african.

sammigold
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 12:33 AM
maybe you could get some of those bright yellow plastic fish.... from a distance they will look real and add colour.. LOL :lol: :lol: :P :P

I'm sorry I dont know of any other than the ones mentioned... your best bet might be finding colourful rams that display flashes of yellow.. you may not find a solid yellow that is compatible... (of course I could be wrong)

dreamer
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 01:08 AM
platty, swordtails and guppy probably have better yellow colour

axl
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 01:27 AM
electra yellows could live in the same water as what discus need all i wont to no is are they compatible

kevkoi
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 01:35 AM
No they are NOT compatible. Electic yellows will harrass your discus to no end.

Labidochromis caeruleus (electric yellow lab).... BIG NO NO in discus tanks. Period.

Mattzilla
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 04:37 AM
ditto of what kev said

i think yellow or gold rams would be the way to go

shop around, there are some very bright coloured rams around...in fact kev may even be able to get you some imports... i have seen some of his imported rams and they are freakin amazing!

hth
matt

sammigold
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 06:03 AM
platty, swordtails and guppy probably have better yellow colour

Guppies require much harder water and lower temperature (24-25c) they would be very prone to columnaris in those types of conditions.

oscar
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 06:20 AM
Can't beleive you were considering putting Electric Yellow in with Discus. WOW!

Apart from the capital sentence you'd be handing down on your discus, the rich food that you should be feeding discus (beefheart & bloodworm) would kill the e-yellow anyhow, or at least make it very ill.

By the way - they don't like the same water conditions.

weird
Fri Sep 16, 2005, 09:48 AM
My golden rams are a very bright yellow ... have a look at them ... opps ... my mrs has taken the camera for a wedding interstate this weekend ... sorry ...

wyldchyld01
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 10:12 AM
weird,

was thinking the same thing myself. probably the closest pure yellow fish but i don't know about temp, mine prefer 24/5, just not sure about higher temps that's all, your might do well in the higher range

nice fish, size of discus would deter them except at breeding from having a go at the king.

Brenton