PDA

View Full Version : Media for Discus

psoul
Sun May 16, 2004, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

i am currenlty setting up my discus tank and will be running a fluval 304 cannister. just wondering if you could help me with which media to use in the filter which is good for discus..

cheers

Pete

Proteus
Sun May 16, 2004, 11:11 AM
I guess there is a whole lot you can use, but a lot comes down to what you want its main purpose to be...

Mechanical.

Biological.

or Chemical...

I use an element of all 3 in my Marathon... of the 5 baskets, the bottom 3 are purely Biological, bio balls, ceramic rings & cintered glass.
The next level is Mechanical & Chemical, some course Eheim gauze mesh, and some Sera Peat granules.
The top layer is all Mechanical, course filter padding, the fine grade filter padding.

When doing maintenance I dont touch the bottom 4 layers (maybe rinse them in old tank water if they are gunked up a bit) and the top layer I replace...

On my AquaClears, I just use the sponges as they are basically just a supplementary filtration device...

HTH

psoul
Sun May 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your reply Proteus,

I would probably want the same. All 3 elements.
Not sure if you are familiar with Fluval 304, but it has 3 chambers.
The bottom one, I should maybe put bio balls, the middle ceramic rings and the top maybe some filter wool..

Is this good enough. I thought about putting gravel from an established tank in the filter aswell, to help with the cycle. Should i do this? or should I just put a handfull of gravel in the tank itself.

Proteus
Sun May 16, 2004, 11:30 AM
The gravel will work, i have done that myself many times...

as for your proposed contents of the 3 levels, they sound fine...

flukes
Sun May 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
If you have gravel in the tank just put the gravel from the established tank on top, when i did this the tank cycled in days. If you dont have gravel in the new tank put the gravel from the est. tank in a stocking and hang it in front of the filter intake.

psoul
Sun May 16, 2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks heaps for the reply guys,

much appreciated.
I am so excited about the tank...

I am going to go and buy heaps of plants tomorrow to put in but have no clues on how to place them..

I will post pics when its all set up and ready to go...

here is a pic so far...

Pete

[/img]