PDA

View Full Version : IM BACK... WITH RAMS!

Shawnts106
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 09:23 PM
LOL, hello everyone again!

how have you all been doing....?
Ive been up to no good as ussual! and have a bit of bad news and good news!

Bad new first:
After losing my PB discus and then the Neon Purple I was very upset.. I dont know what caused it just suddenly one day the PB died... the water quality is perfect ... well... as far as pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia go... I think the ALK was not wonderful for discus.. dont know if that caused it or not... I also purchased a Cobalt, which was doing fine, but I fell in love with Rams and Tetras and just had to get them... after relizing that this cobalt wasnt happy, I returned him to my work, where we have been feeding him well and he is doing much better!

so I think im going to just put the discus on hold for now....

well... RAMS RAMS RAMS

As You may have read on another topic, you know here in the states we can get rams very cheap compaired to you aussies...

6 dollars retail:) aka about 10 Aus dollars!

They are from what I know wild caught, and VERY VERY colorful!
I purchased what appeared to be a pair, they had made a nice little spot in the corner of the tank and where just hanging about over there....

I bought both, took them home, slow acclimated them and within minutes they were eatting,
the next day Ive noticed what appears to be the female has really started breathing hard ... while none of the rest of the fish are....
she is also very FAT, and has something comming out of her "bum"... I think she is sick... dont know what is going on but Id like to cure her!... Is it possible she is contipated?

the what appears to be MALE is fine... however he or she.. whatever it .. has started to get a purple belly... SO IM VERY CONFUSED!
he has the characteristics of a male, but with the purple belly... ?

what gives?

Ive also got a bit of an algae problem... so IM going to go ask about that now :)

please help me figure out whats going on! :)

anti-generic
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:57 AM
Hi, Shawn
can you post a pic of your rams..?
I think by your description, the ram with the purple/pink belly is the female. They can be quite colourful too and can be very agressive especially defending a nest.
As for the other one, i'm not too certain about whats wrong with it. I recently just lost a female on saturday and i couldn't pin point whats wrong. Tested all the water parameters and nothign was wrong. I assume it might be stress, either from other tank mates or even other rams.

As for the algea, what type of algea is it? Is your tank planted? Do you use ph buffers?

Shawnts106
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:01 AM
Yes I can post a pic of the ram... however it isnt good so there is no point in it untill he come out more... my female died this morning.... and at work, we had one showing the same signs... just rapid hard breathing... and then today it died....

Its BGA from what I know... and yes its near a window... so im going to do the STYRO/CEMENT background on this tank to help with the appearence and the algea... I will do the stryro/cement on the sides too!

Yes I use pH buffers only when doing waterchages and only a 4th teaspoon per 4 gallons...

the pH is 6.6, our Tap is 7.4ish... so the 4th teaspoon does the trick... Im using SeaChems pH 4.5...

thanks!

Shawnts106
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:55 AM
Hello, yes both of my rams died.. and so did our stores... I dont know what has happend, but obveously a plague of some such has caused it..

maybe things will turn out better next batch!

:(... I loved my rams..... I WILL ALWAYS LOVE THEM!