PDA

View Full Version : New bristlenoses (pics for sanie)

sammigold
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 07:21 AM
bought a couple of baby bristlenoses today. they are currently being put in quarantine tank. also got a couple of plants. An amazon sword and some sort of dwarf annubias it has purple stems and green leaves. Very happy :D :D :D :D :D

lesley
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 09:43 AM
Sounds good!

I find my bristlenoses fascinating, and a planted tank is a bit like a garden, you can always fit more in!!

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:48 PM
You've really caught the bug, haven't you Sammi. :lol:

Good to see.

You'll love bristlenose catties. They are so cute and always on the go. :P

sammigold
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 11:17 AM
yes merrilyn, we had one in another tank and we loved him unfortunately one day we found him dead... no symptoms of anything.... I suppose that happens sometimes..... and we also had another one years ago, he grew really big and gorgeous but was murdered by a suicidal mono who smashed the heater in our tank and killed himself our bristlenose, two SAEs (basically all the ones who hung around the heater at night) We were very unhappy... not a nice way to wake up.... so we start again after a decent break...... two babies who will hopefully grow big and strong...

weird
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Sammi

You will find a few other BN fanatics here. I recently sold about 20 to my local FS, and was pleased to see his jaw drop and say ... " these are excellent quality ... you have any more ?" ... I now call the rest of my guys 'excellent quality' ... lol. I am a novice fish keeper and little things like that give me incredible satisfaction.

You should find BN incredibly tough fish ... that saying I have a discus tank in which I had a bad run with BN (and ottos) , and they will no more ever set foot again in that tank ... the reason why they don't survive in that tank is a mystery to me and collecting them stiff is not a great thing, I agree, to wake up to.

I enjoy sneaking up to BNs when they have their body stuck to the front glass, showing off their 'Mic Jagger' lips .

the_oracle
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 03:56 PM
Sammi,
Where are the pics? You better keep them coming.............
Would love to see your set-up and your new additions......................

Sanie.

sammigold
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 06:03 AM
i will try and take some whilst they are in quarantine.., (they are really small ie. 1.5cm all up) I think they will get lost in the main tank for a while... in fact I was wondering whether they will start climbing up the back drop or even (dread to think it) down the 3 pipes that push the water out at the top and then have to find their way back.... you need to see photos of the tank to know what I mean. I will take a few of my main tank and you'll see.

mcloughlin2
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 06:35 AM
It sounds as if the bn u bought are only just hatched... :? :shock: :shock:

I wouldnt reccomend u putting them into a tank with any fish unless they are other newly hatched baby fish..

I breed and sell bn and i have another batch of bn just hatched and they r the size of ur ones or bigger...

If possible i would keep them in a seperate tank until they are bigger unless the tank they are goin in has plenty of plants and hidey holes

sammigold
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:30 AM
Sanie.... Pictures as ordered of tank (none of BNs as yet)

Mcloughlin2. thanks for the advice. Have a look at my tank and see what you think... there are heaps and heaps of places to hide.... they are by themselves at moment in Quarantine.....

sammigold
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:34 AM
and more pics....

sammigold
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:39 AM
and last couple..... I only have a video camera so the quality of shots isnt great Sorry!!!

Ben
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:41 AM
Wow sammi! :D
thats an awesome tank you have there! 8-)
I like it very much! you would watch the fish more than the tv!

Infact, get rid of the tv and buy another tank!
:P
keep up the good work! :D :wink:

Ben

sammigold
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:44 AM
LOL Ben, have another tank behind on other side of room Heres a pic

Ben
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 11:02 AM
LOL sammi,
you just need to replace the TV for a tank!!

sammigold
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 11:17 AM
If only I could convince my man!!!

the_oracle
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 11:52 AM
Sammi,
Thanks for the pics...............
Really love your set-up. Awesome.............
Agreed with Ben. You should get more tanks and dump the TV.
In fact I myself haven't watched any TV for quite some time. Too busy in front of the tank....................
BTW, thanks again for the pics. and if you have the time, maybe you can post some pics. of those BNs..............

Sanie.

DR.V
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 02:42 PM
hoho i love that tank ... but is it hard for cleaning ??

yeah get rid of the tv and buy another tank !!

hehe

mcloughlin2
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:53 PM
Ur askin alot of those bn LOL.....they have alot to clean!!!! :lol:

Im sure they will be able to find a place in that tank to hide but i see that u have angelfish in the tank and they LOVE baby fish.....

Gets some pics of the bn and if possible put a ruler next to them so we no how big they are :D

Ps i luv the tank!! How big is it??? :D

sammigold
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 09:56 AM
Dr V. It can be difficult to get into. The bar has a removable shelf that sits above the tank... we don't even bother to put it back as we'd be forever taking it off and on. Alot of the planting and stuff is difficult as you have to lean in with your arm and try and work out where you are in the tank... :lol: Its usually a two person job, one out front directing the other with their arm in the tank :? You get very good at communicating with each other LOL :lol: :lol: As for cleaning we seem to be doing ok at the moment... The hardest thing is trying to catch a fish in there so once they are in they are in... especially the cardinals, the black widows are crafty buggers too...

Mcloughlin2 it is a 4ftx18x18 I think... I think it was handmade as the measurements aren't standard... our house is a rental so I hope we dont have to move for a while. We'd have to get another tank then.... :roll: The landlord was pretty impressed that we set it all up, she said when she originally bought the house that the previous owners left the fish to die and when she took over the house the tank had about 2 inches of very dirty water filled with dead fish.... how terrible is that!!! I could never do that to any of my fish... where I go they go!!!

Photos of bns still to come.... :oops: :lol: